CNN reported Friday night that a federal grand jury has approved the first charges filed by Department of Justice special counsel Robert Mueller into alleged collusion between the presidential campaign of US President Donald Trump and Russian actors.
Details were still murky Friday because the charges are still sealed by judge's order.
Mueller's office declined to comment on the news.
Subpoenas have already been issued to former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, former national security adviser Michael Flynn, and others, including those involved in a Trump Tower meeting between Russians and campaign officials. He was appointed after President Trump fired FBI Director James Comey. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has recused himself from any investigation into the 2016 election.
The Kremlin has also denied the claims.
Andrew Weissmann, a special staff attorney for the special counsel, was spotted at the courthouse.
Former Federal Prosecutor Renato Mariotti tells CBS, "What I suspect given that the investigation appears to be ongoing is that Mueller has made a decision to indict certain individuals in the hope that they will what we call, flip". The nature of the charges is not clear, nor is the identity or number of individuals targeted.
Reuters reported on Thursday that Woolsey and his wife past year pitched a $10 million project to the same Turkish businessman who had agreed a smaller contract with Flynn.
Mueller's broad mandate gives him not only oversight of the Russian Federation probe, but also "any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation".
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti specs and pricing revealed
- Hazard refuses to give up on Premier League title
- Harvey Weinstein accuser says producer forcibly performed oral sex on her
- Microsoft Officially Kills the Kinect
- Nintendo to release Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp on phones in November
- Stock Soaring to a Recent High: Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:MPC)
- Flu season is here: Have you gotten your vaccination?
- Time Warner Inc. (NASDAQ:TWX) Expected To Report Earnings On Thursday
- Sherri Papini abduction: 911 audio, sketches released
- DC's Shazam Casts Thor Actor In Lead Role