McElwain's job status was already tenuous prior to Saturday's 42-7 loss to No. 3 Georgia but the beat down from one of the school's fiercest rivals sped up the process of ending McElwain's tenure.
Florida parted ways with embattled coach Jim McElwain, athletic director Scott Stricklin announced Sunday. McElwain was 22-8 since taking over in 2015, but the offense - his area of expertise - never improved in his time as head coach.
Randy Shannon, who spent four seasons as the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes and the six years prior as UM's defensive coordinator, was named Florida's interim coach after Jim McElwain was sacked Sunday.
I think it's a pretty good kind of lesson for the way things are. Yesterday, rumors began to swirl about McElwain's future and Florida exploring the possibility of firing him with cause, and AD Scott Stricklin attempted to quiet them nearly immediately.
After failing to find any evidence to substantiate claims made by McElwain last week that his family and players received death threats, Florida administrators were working to see whether that would be enough to relieve the university from paying his full buyout of $12.76 million if he were fired.
McElwain later admitted that the threats he was referring to happened "in the past" and said he was wrong to bring them up. We haven't won a championship. That's real. That's life. An official announcement is expected later in the day.
They probably would have found a way to live with them had McElwain delivered on promises to improve an offense that has been mostly dormant for a decade.
The Gators surely will hire another offensive-minded coach to start the next rebuild.
He previously worked at Florida under Urban Meyer. Since leaving, he's built a competitive program at Mississippi State. Florida will also have to buy out any assistants not retained by the next coach.
- England complete stunning comeback against Spain to win Under-17 World Cup
- Flu season is here: Have you gotten your vaccination?
- Prepare For A Stormy Sunday; Wind, Flood Watches In Effect
- Stock Soaring to a Recent High: Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:MPC)
- Sherri Papini abduction: 911 audio, sketches released
- Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock's brother Bruce arrested for child porn
- Time Warner Inc. (NASDAQ:TWX) Expected To Report Earnings On Thursday
- Microsoft reveals Games with Gold titles for November 2017
- Nintendo to release Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp on phones in November
- Tropical Depression Eighteen forms in Caribbean