Perotti passed up a more straightforward opportunity, blazing over from 12 yards after Dzeko led Rudiger, Cesar Azpilicueta and David Luiz a merry dance, and Courtois' point-blank save from substitute Kostas Manolas spared further damage.
Antonio Conte's Premier League champions looked in fine fettle having just beaten rivals Tottenham at Wembley while Atleti have been one of Europe's preeminent sides in the past few seasons, reaching two finals and one semi only to be thwarted each time by local rivals Real. Despite being a 3-3 draw, it was proof of the desire of both teams to go for it.
After an opening burst the hosts were ahead after just 38 seconds when Dzeko nodded down and El Shaarawy blasted into the back of the net past a stunned Thibaut Courtois. In a unsafe attempt at playing out from the back Aleksandar Kolarov passed straight to the feet of the Chelsea striker who somehow blazed a shot over the crossbar from five yards out.
Marcos Alonso cut in from the left and forced Alisson to push a rasping shot behind, while Bakayoko compounded Chelsea's woes by powering a header wastefully wide from the resulting corner. Antonio Conte made a decision to change things as the hour mark approached and Willian replaced Gary Cahill as the Blues switched to a conventional back four, looking to be more competitive in midfield. Either way Diego Perotti, who alongside Kolarov caused Chelsea all sorts of problems, will start on the left. We are recovering important players.
It's easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment, but it's hard to explain exactly why Diego Perotti chose to act the way he did after Roma went 2-0 up against Chelsea.
"Our group is a tough group with Atletico Madrid and Roma". Putting their win in front, the Blues are expected to turn things around when they face Eusebio Di Francesco's men tonight at the Stadio Olimpico.
- On a rainy afternoon, Cowboys defeat Redskins, claim inside track to playoffs
- The First Charges In Mueller's Russia Probe Are Reportedly Filed
- Constellation jumps into pot with Canopy Growth stake
- Prepare For A Stormy Sunday; Wind, Flood Watches In Effect
- Trader Alert: Unusual Volume Spotted in CalAtlantic Group, Inc. (NYSE:CAA)
- Iraqi Kurdish leader Barzani confirms intention to step down on November 1
- NC State blocked a punt for a TD against Notre Dame. Again
- Israel destroys Gaza cross-border tunnel, killing 6
- Apple iPhone X: Ultra-Fast Face ID Causing A Slowdown
- England complete stunning comeback against Spain to win Under-17 World Cup