Police said to expect "many emergency personnel" in the area of Chambers Street and West Street on the lower west side of Manhattan. But it's not clear yet if any shots were fired.
"What happened was there was a auto crash... he came out of one of the cars". The guy with the two guns, for some reason, was running around.
"When the cops shot him, everybody started running away and it got a little bit insane right there".
"I saw the vehicle crash so I ran up the bridge", a witness at the scene told PIX11's Myles Miller. "There was a auto crash, and then he started to shoot". I didn't see any gun.
The suspect shouted "Allah Akhbar", witnesses told police, CNN is reporting.
A video apparently filmed at the scene and circulated online showed scattered bikes on the bike path and two people lying on the ground.
Retailer Home Depot confirmed that the truck was a rental.
Eugene Duffy, 43, a chef at a waterfront restaurant, said he was crossing West Street when he heard something, turned back and saw the white pickup on the bike path. There are eight fatalities and numerous injuries, police said. The person displayed "imitation firearms", police said.
"I saw he had something in his hand, but I couldn't tell what it was. A lot of people on the ground", Yi said.
"What I saw was that the driver - he didn't look like he was bleeding", said Ramon Cruz, a witness.
ABC News reports the truck hit a school bus.
De Blasio urged New Yorkers to be vigilant but not intimidated during any Halloween festivities following the incident.
The mayor's office said there is no longer any active threat.
NYPD is investigating the incident as a possible act of terror.
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Apple iPhone X: Ultra-Fast Face ID Causing A Slowdown
- Atlanta Falcons vs New York Jets
- Wind advisory Sunday pm-Monday am; strongest winds overnight
- If Pakistan doesn't act against terror groups, we'll find a 'different way'
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Bill Belichick: Pats QB situation wasn't 'sustainable'
- Israel destroys Gaza cross-border tunnel, killing 6
- On a rainy afternoon, Cowboys defeat Redskins, claim inside track to playoffs
- Jim McElwain out as Florida's coach