A day after the team declined to pick up his fourth-year player option for next season, Okafor was very clear on what he would like to happen.
According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Okafor told team president Bryan Colangelo that he wanted to be bought out of his contract, but the Sixers appear unwilling to let the 21-year-old leave via that route. During that span, Okafor averaged 17.5 points and seven rebounds in 30 minutes per game while shooting 50.8 percent from the floor and 68.6 percent from the free-throw line. However, his minutes and role has continued to decrease and this season he has played in just one game - at Toronto - where Joel Embiid did not play. "That's not happening here and I want to play".
With Okafor not playing at all, it was hard to believe at any point that a team would be interested in acquiring him via trade. The Celtics might want Okafor only after a buyout - i.e., if they don't have to surrender any assets to Philadelphia.
Jahlil Okafor badly wants a buyout from the Philadelphia 76ers, and the Boston Celtics are a possible destination for him if he receives it. "But that's where we stand today, because he waited so long to trade me. They're going to continue to do great things, but at the same time, I want to play". Bryan didn't think that would be a good idea because he said that he'd be giving me away to a team for free.
In all, adding Jahil Okafor wouldn't hurt at all...if they get him to buy in to the team concept of basketball.
Other teams - that don't care about winning this season and will have cap room next summer - are generally better of waiting to sign him then.
Okafor called it "fine" that he's out of the rotation, but was adamant about wanting to play elsewhere. "But I'm not getting that opportunity to play".
- Nintendo Switch Major Update Still Without Cloud Feature!
- Spelunky 2 has been announced
- The Weeknd & Selena Gomez Split Up
- Atlanta Falcons vs New York Jets
- Srikanth attributes French Open triumph to mental strength
- Apple iPhone X: Ultra-Fast Face ID Causing A Slowdown
- Wendy Williams Collapsed On Live Television
- Trader Alert: Unusual Volume Spotted in CalAtlantic Group, Inc. (NYSE:CAA)
- Majority of Playoff Teams Don't Start in the Top 4
- Lawmakers slam social media giants for fake news and Russian ads