And with CEO Jeff Bezos directly involved with the talks, the potential seems all the more real. That's right-streaming services Amazon and Netflix and pay cable giant HBO are reportedly eyeing Lord Of The Rings for an adaptation, per a Deadline tipster. Variety broke the story tonight that Warner Bros.is in talks with Amazon to develop a series based on J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels! But there is no deal now in place, and the talks are reportedly at a very early stage.
Discussions are underway for the creation of a TV show based on J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved fantasy series Lord of the Rings.
Warner Bros declined CNET's request for comment. While Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu have all made huge strides as original content creators, Amazon has yet to score with a far-reaching, cultural conversation piece the way that Netflix has with something like Stranger Things.
Amazon Studios has unexpectedly found itself in the midst of a transition. His head of drama and comedy Joe Lewis was pushed out as he faced conflict of interest allegations, among others.
Bezos essentially has to negotiate, because there's no one in that department on an executive level high enough to handle a deal of this scale and importance.
This could mean that Middle-earth Enterprises is also involved, or it could mean that what's being shopped around are Tolkien stories outside of the realm of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Development and production, even if rushed from the time of a rights deal, would still be some time in the future. As another fantasy and adventure series, LotR could be a flawless fit, especially seeing as how popular the books are, in addition to the numerous adaptations.
Would you like to see Lord of the Rings come to television? The only potential problem?
- 3 reasons Michigan State will win Big Ten
- Blimey it's a new Overwatch map, hero and animated short
- Okafor's option not being picked up by Sixers
- Deshaun Watson out for season with torn ACL
- Reset your clocks: Daylight saving time ends Sunday
- Tesla Posts Loss, Boosting Pressure to Speed Output of Model 3
- Ravens continue season against backup QBs with Colts' Andrew Luck on IR
- WhatsApp Messenger down leaving billions of users panicked. Check the Twitter reactions
- Battle for Azeroth is the latest WoW expansion
- Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller Indicts Two More Trump Campaign Officials