The Cyclones' second Big 12 loss of the season will drop them in the standings, with the victor of Oklahoma-Oklahoma State taking the first spot.
The thought of Iowa State being ranked ahead of schools like USC, Stanford and Michigan State in the CFP rankings would have been laughable back in August coming off a 3-9 campaign that featured only wins over lowly San Jose State, Kansas and Texas Tech.
The West Virginia Mountaineers are hosting the Iowa State Cyclones in college football action on Saturday afternoon.
In the second quarter, White badly beat Iowa State safety Reggie Wilkerson on a TD pass from Grier that covered 55 yards.
The tough part for Iowa State is being able to continue to play at a high level. It would've been easy for Iowa State to give up when it found itself in a 20-point hole, but the Cyclones clawed their way out, eventually losing 20-16.
WVU was putting a good drive together on the ensuing possession, but a chance at a score on third down proved costly, as D'Andre Payne ripped the ball from David Sills V's hands in the end zone for an interception with 4:57 to go. Iowa State drove the ball down to the seven, but again got hung up on third down. It contained West Virginia running back Justin Crawford and didn't allow the deep ball.
The Mountaineer had similar fortune on its first drive of the second quarter.
Campbell noted that both of White's big catches came on third down and after Grier had scrambled to buy more time. But Iowa State's defense could be the key to a victory.
The Cyclones set the tone for what the rest of the game would be in the first drive of the second half.
Justin Crawford had nearly double that total before halftime, showing that he's healthy once again.
But Iowa State got its details back in order, for the most part, and tried to come back in the game. But a 20-3 halftime deficit was too much to overcome in the end. "In the second half we were a different team". All within the first 20 minutes of the game. After review, White stepped out of bounds (ironically with his left foot - he was running down the right sideline), so the Mountaineers had possession at Iowa State's 10-yard line.
Iowa State comes in ranked 15 in the first College Football Playoff poll, but the Cyclones find themselves underdogs here on the road.
- Amazon Wants To Make Lord of The Rings A Streaming TV Show
- Achmea Investment Management BV Acquires New Holdings in Discovery Communications, Inc. (DISCK)
- Social media reacts to Panthers slow start, bounce back win vs Atlanta
- Twitter employee shuts down Donald Trump's account on last day of work
- Jimmy Fallon's mother Gloria Fallon dies at 68 in NYC hospital
- Iowa routs Ohio State to squash the Buckeyes' playoff path
- Black Caps crush India thanks to Munro ton
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Jennifer Lawrence Dropped a Taylor Swift Reference to Kim Kardashian's Face
- Top smartphones for gaming