Kentucky Police say they arrested a man that assaulted Sen.
Paul is a second term Senator who has served in the Senate since 2011.
They have arrested 59-year-old Rene Boucher in relation to the incident and charged him with one count of Assault 4th-minor injury.
Kentucky Republican Senator Rand Paul is assaulted in his home Friday. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.
Boucher is an anesthesiologist who has recently been recovering from injuries sustained in a bike accident, according to sources close to Paul.
He is the inventor of the Therm-a-Vest, a cloth vest partially filled with rice and secured with Velcro straps that is designed help with back pain, according to the Bowling Green Daily News.
He's also a registered Democrat.
State troopers responded to a call to the senator's residence at 3:21 p.m. Friday. "Senator Paul is fine".
State Police Master Trooper Jeremy Hodges told The Associated Press that he couldn't reveal any other details of the assault because of security issues.
An investigation continues, police said. Both are residents of Bowling Green, Kentucky, where the attack took place.
Paul posted on his Twitter account Sunday that he and his wife were grateful for the support "after Friday's unfortunate incident". "Thank you for your thoughts and prayers".
- Paz de la Huerta: Weinstein raped me twice in my apartment
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Contract employee identified as culprit for Trump's Twitter account disappearance
- Reset your clocks: Daylight saving time ends Sunday
- WhatsApp Messenger down leaving billions of users panicked. Check the Twitter reactions
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Twitter employee shuts down Donald Trump's account on last day of work
- Social media reacts to Panthers slow start, bounce back win vs Atlanta
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Blimey it's a new Overwatch map, hero and animated short