Would this be the kind of game you would play with your phone in the outside world? It was initially formed as an internal startup within Google, but it later became an independent firm in 2015. It is confirmed that this mobile game will be another AR title - meaning that it will utilize real locations and video game technology - similar to what we saw in Pokemon Go.
"With this game, we are allowing the passionate, worldwide fan base to experience J.K. Rowling's deeply powerful and imaginative universe in a new, truly immersive way", said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros.
Pokemon Go was a huge success upon its release in Summer 2016.
The Harry Potter franchise is nearly certainly more recognizable on a global scale. Interactive's Portkey Games label, a new department exclusively dedicated to the creation of video games and mobile experiences inspired by the Harry Potter universe. Keep in mind the word "Portkey" is a reference from the wizarding world of Harry Potter. Regardless of the assorted problems users have experienced with the title, it was still one of the first to demonstrate some of the potential of augmented reality (AR).
With how well Pokemon Go has performed, it's unsurprising to hear that Niantic is hoping lightning will strike twice. These are landmarks in your real world.
A similar AR-based magical game, called Maguss, has already been made, and is now in early alpha.
And, yes, we're guessing you'll have to choose a house. No telling if we'll see anything specifically Hogwarts-related, or if we'll get whatever the Potter-related equivalent of gyms are.
- Social media reacts to Panthers slow start, bounce back win vs Atlanta
- What's the Song in the 'Fifty Shades Freed' Trailer?
- Spielberg to debut movie about the Washington Post and the Pentagon Papers
- Weinstein hired spies to silence accusers
- Drake One Of Many Apple Users Waiting For The "I" Bug Fix
- Dwyane Wade is not a Fan of the Internet
- Eagles run out of fireworks during 51 point performance against Broncos
- ACLU defends article linking Taylor Swift to white supremacists
- Trump administration ends immigration program protecting Central Americans from deportation
- We Didn't Deserve To Lose To Chelsea - Jose Mourinho