The Patriots immediately made room for Bennett by waiving defensive end Geneo Grissom, so Allen and third-string tight end Jacob Hollister stay on the roster for now.
NFL Network reporter Ian Rapoport also reported the news.
General manager Ted Thompson announced the move on Wednesday after practice. Bennett played an integral role last season in filling in for All-Pro Rob Gronkowski, who missed most of the year with a back injury. He then was sidelined with an unexplained shoulder injury that popped up following the first practice after the bye.?He hasn't played in a game since October 22.
Interested in writing for cover32?
Bennett's agent, Kennard McGuire, declined comment.
What was the undisclosed medical condition Bennett failed to tell the team about?
Bennett was a part of the 2016 Super Bowl-winning team.
For starters, three of Bennett's seven touchdowns last season came in one game (Week 5 against the Cleveland Browns).
Bennett was drafted by the Cowboys in 2008.
Once he was released by the Packers, the Patriots seemed like an obvious fit for the journeyman tight end, especially considering the struggles of his replacement, Dwayne Allen. Last month, Bennett, on Instagram wrote, "After conversations with my family I'm pretty sure these next eight games will be the conclusion of my National Football League career". These next games are for you. In his seven games for the green and gold, he had 24 catches for 233 yards.
In that sense, there's limited risk for the Patriots, assuming Bennett is healthy and motivated.
- Got The Apple 'i' Glitch? Here's How To Fix It
- Facebook asks users to send nude pictures
- Niantic's Next Game Is Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Call Of Duty: WWII Was Almost Advanced Warfare 2
- Meek Mill's Lawyer Says Judge Showed 'Enormous Bias' in Sentencing
- Apple's next iPad will steal the iPhone X's best features
- Apple AR Headset Running 'rOS' Rumored for 2019 Launch
- Carter Page testifies he told Sessions about Russian Federation trip
- Despite Trump's Best Efforts, Obamacare Enrollment Reaches New Highs
- Twitter Doubles Tweet Limit to 280 Characters