Twitter said its tests with a 280-character limit confirmed that it is possible to address cramming without compromising its platform. It's a confusing time, with most users complaining about this update, and the rest taking the absolute piss. The user edited Jack's tweet into only 140 characters without losing the meaning of tweet itself. That's 560 characters. It's basically a book.
The roll-out includes all languages except Japanese, Korean and Chinese. But importantly, people Tweeted below 140 most of the time and the brevity of Twitter remained.
The tweet that tops them all is City remembering Sergio Aguero's last-gasp victor against Queens Park Rangers to clinch the Premier League title, pipping cross-town rivals, United in 2012.
Only 5% of tweets sent from test users were longer than 140 characters. As a further blow to all the 140 diehards out there, the company removed the number-based character count from the bottom right of the "compose new Tweet" box and replaced it with a circle.
"We - and many of you - were concerned that timelines may fill up with 280 character tweets, and people with the new limit would always use up the whole space", said Twitter product manager Aliza Rosen in a blog post.
Yesterday, Twitter rolled out new parameters for its more than 300 million users. Those above 190 accounted for a mere 2%.
Twitter did not provide information on whether it had seen an increase in harassment on its site, due to the higher character limit.
It didn't take long for US President Donald Trump to join the essay-tweeting community.
So, it seems 280 characters is good for business.
Twitter's first test of 280 characters was available to select users starting in September. And, in the end, that's really what matters to Twitter.
- Google To Show Wait Times At Local Restaurants
- Meek Mill's Lawyer Says Judge Showed 'Enormous Bias' in Sentencing
- Reports Lower 4th Quarter Earnings
- Spielberg to debut movie about the Washington Post and the Pentagon Papers
- Apple's next iPad will steal the iPhone X's best features
- Amazon UK customers suffer Xbox One X launch day issues
- Trump administration ends immigration program protecting Central Americans from deportation
- Despite Trump's Best Efforts, Obamacare Enrollment Reaches New Highs
- Kevin Spacey assaulted my teen son
- LiAngelo Ball, two other UCLA basketball players arrested in China