Jones was hired to coach the Volunteers in December 2012, following the team's three losing seasons under Derek Dooley. Jones was 0-13 at Tennessee against teams ranked in the top ten - and the Vols were outscored 491 to 183 in those 13 games.
However, Jones was never able to take UT back to the SEC Championship game.
Jones ends his career in Knoxville with an overall record of 34-27. He's put together three consecutive winning seasons and bowl game victories.
What did Jones tell him? Ever since back-to-back home losses to Georgia and SC earlier this season, it has seemed likely that Tennessee would move in a different direction at the end of the year.
Please note your obligations under Section 3.1.4 of the Agreement, including without limitation your obligation to use your reasonable best efforts to mitigate the University's obligation to pay liquidated damages by making reasonable and diligent efforts as soon as practicable following termination to obtain another comparable employment or paid services position.
Jones guided Tennessee to back-to-back nine-win seasons in 2015 and 2016, but was just 3-9 in his last 12 SEC games dating to last season.
Jones entered this season with stable job security in the minds of the administration and Currie, but it was a pivotal season for Jones to continue progressing the program.
Jones struggled to win consistently within the SEC, especially against rivals Florida, Georgia and Alabama.
Injuries played a major role in Jones' demise.
His most notable misstep in that regard came a year ago when he referred to his senior class as "champions of life" two days after the Vols were eliminated from East Division championship contention. "The Jones family has poured their heart and soul into this Tennessee football program and the Knoxville community". Hoke was serving as the defensive line coach at Tennessee and was the head coach at MI before Jim Harbaugh. Attendance is at 98,090 so far this year.
Jones has an overall record of 84-54.
Hoke is a familiar name to college football fans, as the former head coach at MI (2011-2014), San Diego State (2009-2010) and Ball State (2003-2008).
- New Star Wars series to lure customers from Netflix and Amazon
- Google Files Go launches on Android as lightweight toolkit
- Respawn Entertainment to be purchased by EA
- Stock that will multiply your investment: Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:APC)
- Record-Breaking Performance: Student-Athlete Graduation Success Rate Tops 80 Percent
- Loftus-Cheek eyeing World Cup
- There's More: Conor McGregor Slaps Security Guard At Bellator 187
- Cryptocurrency Revenue Plunges For NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA)
- Penn State 35, Rutgers 6 What we learned
- "Family values" candidate Roy Moore accused of seducing 14-year-old girl