Goodell is in the process of negotiating a contract extension-his current deal for his role as commissioner expires in 2019-but Jones has been trying to prevent it from happening with Elliot's suspension seemingly being the main reason.
Since then the members of the committee, which includes the owners of the Chiefs, the Falcons, the Giants, the Patriots, the Steelers and the Texans, have communicated with Jones through lawyers, news releases and radio interviews, exposing one of the league's messiest rifts in years.
"I don't know where this is coming from about stripping him of his franchise", the owner said Thursday, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the threat of litigation by Jones. "I'm sorry we're in this state of mind as a country, but if you're looking for a racist Jerry Jones is not that guy". In fact, Jones talked about Elliott avoiding a suspension while in Canton.
Former Cowboy Deion Sanders came to Jones' defense Friday. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard [after the deflate-gate decision], Bob Kraft is a [expletive] compared to what I'm going to do".
The intra-league drama has made the NFL's behind-the-scenes negotiations more interesting than the games themselves.
Jones lists an incredibly harsh set of rebukes and criticisms of Goodell in his letter to the league.
"'Roger told me there was nothing to worry about - the evidence just isn't there, '" says a high-level source briefed on the call.
"Jerry's message to Roger was 'I run this league".
Jones had already signed off Goodell's extension with the belief Elliott would be on the field, and was furious with the commissioner. He called it "a complete betrayal". He'll be eligible to return to the field in Week 16. There's no end in sight to Jones' battle against Goodell.
- U.S. gives green signal to 'sensor' pill to track patient's medication
- Comcast has approached 21st Century Fox about buying major assets, sources say
- Foot Locker Inc. Reports 28% Decline In Q3 Profit
- China to Send Special Envoy to North Korea
- Broadcaster accuses Senator Al Franken of sexual harassment
- Stock Ballooning Up Pre-Bell: Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (NYSE:ANF)
- Biggest ever OnePlus screen for new 5T flagship smartphone
- Dozens of local families get bigger during National Adoption Day
- SA lose out on Rugby World Cup, France named hosts
- What Recent Ownership Trends Suggest About Williams-Sonoma, Inc. (WSM)'s Future Performance