Goodell is in the process of negotiating a contract extension-his current deal for his role as commissioner expires in 2019-but Jones has been trying to prevent it from happening with Elliot's suspension seemingly being the main reason.
Since then the members of the committee, which includes the owners of the Chiefs, the Falcons, the Giants, the Patriots, the Steelers and the Texans, have communicated with Jones through lawyers, news releases and radio interviews, exposing one of the league's messiest rifts in years.
"I don't know where this is coming from about stripping him of his franchise", the owner said Thursday, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the threat of litigation by Jones. "I'm sorry we're in this state of mind as a country, but if you're looking for a racist Jerry Jones is not that guy". In fact, Jones talked about Elliott avoiding a suspension while in Canton.
Former Cowboy Deion Sanders came to Jones' defense Friday. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard [after the deflate-gate decision], Bob Kraft is a [expletive] compared to what I'm going to do".
The intra-league drama has made the NFL's behind-the-scenes negotiations more interesting than the games themselves.
Jones lists an incredibly harsh set of rebukes and criticisms of Goodell in his letter to the league.
"'Roger told me there was nothing to worry about - the evidence just isn't there, '" says a high-level source briefed on the call.
"Jerry's message to Roger was 'I run this league".
Jones had already signed off Goodell's extension with the belief Elliott would be on the field, and was furious with the commissioner. He called it "a complete betrayal". He'll be eligible to return to the field in Week 16. There's no end in sight to Jones' battle against Goodell.
- Fantastic Beasts 2 name revealed: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- U.S. gives green signal to 'sensor' pill to track patient's medication
- 'Cards Against Humanity' purchases land to stop Mexico border wall
- Foot Locker Inc. Reports 28% Decline In Q3 Profit
- Tesla Unveils World's Fastest Production Car In Surprise Announcement
- UM QB Brandon Peters Carted Off Field, Evaluated For Head Injury
- College faculty rejects contract offer
- Shepard Smith Defends Hillary Clinton Over Uranium Deal
- SA lose out on Rugby World Cup, France named hosts
- China to Send Special Envoy to North Korea