New Delhi: party, the Congress Working Committee (CWC) is likely to meet on Monday at party chief Sonia Gandhi's dwelling in the national capita for Rahul Gandhi's possible elevation as a party president for Gujarat elections.
The party is bracing for a generational change in leadership after a gap of almost 20 years.
"The schedule for the elections will be approved and according to that, the process will start". If there is a contest, the polling can happen on December 8 and counting of votes, three days later. "The date for which will be announced on Monday", Congress leader Janardan Dwivedi told ANI.
As most people believe Rahul will not face any opposition like his mother in becoming the president of Congress, reports have stated that the meeting may just be a formality.
The CWC will decide on the schedule for the election of the Congress President, including the date for filing of nomination and the election. Sharad Pawar and Rajesh Pilot had filed nominations against incumbent president Sitaram Kesri in 1997 and lost. Mr Gandhi was expected to takeover as the president of the party before October 31st but got delayed due to the upcoming assembly elections in Himachal Pradesh on November 9.
The entire election schedule will be around a fortnight long. The Congress has already completed the task of constituting Pradesh Congress Committees (PCCs).
There has been a mounting insistence in the Congress that he end lingering uncertainty and speculation and grasp the responsibility that will make him the fifth Nehru-Gandhi to head the party.
This would clear the decks for the elevation of party vice president Rahul Gandhi to take over as the next chief. The lack of clarity led to Congress leaders refusing to talk definitively about the subject, after top office-bearers last month ventured to predict that it would happen soon after Diwali. He also nurtured the Youth Congress and party's student wing NSUI, as AICC's general secretary in-charge.
- Rapper Lil Peep Reportedly Dies of a Drug Overdose, Details Unclear
- Megyn Kelly: Donald Trump Is 'Tone Deaf' for Criticizing Al Franken
- Best Black Friday wearable tech deals on Amazon UK
- Jerry Jones Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Remark Captured in Video
- Dozens of local families get bigger during National Adoption Day
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) receives consensus rating of 2.40
- China to Send Special Envoy to North Korea
- Serena Williams to marry Alexis Ohanian
- Comcast has approached 21st Century Fox about buying major assets, sources say
- Stock Ballooning Up Pre-Bell: Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (NYSE:ANF)