KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Chiefs pass rushers Tamba Hali and Dee Ford have been ruled out Sunday against the New York Giants, while defensive lineman Allen Bailey was also ruled out for their struggling defense.
Yet in the game's final moments, the Chiefs finally came alive to show enough heart to not only pull things to a tie but to finally take over when it mattered most.
Following the Smith interception, the Giants capitalize. Especially Orleans Darkwa, who put up 74 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries. But Rosas missed the extra point to limit New York's lead to 6-0.
After forcing the Chiefs to punt on the first possession of overtime, the Giants drove to set up Aldrick Rosas' 23-yard field goal.
The Chiefs looked poised to take the lead early in the fourth after Smith hit Tyreek Hill for 38 yards, bringing the ball down to the Giants 16-yard-line.
The veteran signal-caller connected on 19-of-35 passes for 205 yards and did not commit a turnover as the Ben McAdoo's squad out-slugged stunned Kansas City.
Giants WR Roger Lewis Actually Caught This Pass While Being Interfered With
"Does he have a couple of throws he would like to have back?" Chiefs coach Andy Reid said the 34-year-old Hali experienced swelling in the knees afterward and he did not participate in any practices this week. Pro Football Focus says Flowers has not given up a sack since that game against the Lions. "There is parity. It doesn't matter if you are 1-8 or whatever it might be".
"We're just as baffled as you guys are", linebacker Pepper Johnson told reporters after the game. "It's my responsibility to do that".
The 6-4 Chiefs have lost four of their past five games.
The 2-8 Giants play the late-game of the Thanksgiving triple-header on Thursday (8:30).
NOTES: This was the first time since September 10, 1995, that the Giants and Chiefs went into overtime. A conservative, soft offensive approach kept the Chiefs from responding to the Giants, who played a more physical game, and Reid also made sure to craft cute plays like the one below, a deep pass called from Travis Kelce.
It was Smith's second interception of the season. The Giants have allowed opposing tight ends to score in 10 consecutive games. Chiefs K Harrison Butker's three field goals gave him 22 straight conversions, the fifth-longest streak in franchise history.
- Megyn Kelly: Donald Trump Is 'Tone Deaf' for Criticizing Al Franken
- Rapper Lil Peep Reportedly Dies of a Drug Overdose, Details Unclear
- Jerry Jones Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Remark Captured in Video
- This time for walking away from skirmish
- Incredibles 2 Trailer Released by Disney-Pixar: Oh, Baby!
- Fantastic Beasts 2 name revealed: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Stock Ballooning Up Pre-Bell: Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (NYSE:ANF)
- FIRST TO ALERT: Rain moves in for the weekend. Latest timing here
- What Recent Ownership Trends Suggest About Williams-Sonoma, Inc. (WSM)'s Future Performance
- OnePlus 5T vs OnePlus 3T: Is it worth the upgrade?