Foxconn reiterated Apple's statement to the Financial Times, saying "all work was voluntary and compensated appropriately" but "the interns did work overtime in violation of our policy".
According to the Financial Times, high-school students are routinely working 11-hour days to assemble parts for the iPhone X at a factory in Zhengzhou, China. The iPhone X - priced starting at $1,000, it's Apple's most expensive smartphone ever - has a almost full edge-to-edge 5.8-inch screen, an advanced camera system, and a new facial-recognition feature used to unlock the device.
Declining to reveal her full name, fearing punishment, she added, "The work has nothing to do with our studies".
Apple and Foxconn said they had discovered instances of students working overtime at their facilities. According to the report, long-term employees of Foxconn said that hiring of students has been a usual practice for the company, especially during busy seasons. The interns also constitute "a very small percentage of the workforce", the representative said.
Since 2012 Apple says it has reduced the number of underage workers in its extended supply chain, which includes locations where rare earth minerals are mined for use in the smartphones. Plants where Apple products were manufactured also saw a series of suicides in 2010-2011. In 2014, a BBC investigative report found Apple's standards for protecting workers at Chinese facilities were being violated.
Student labor is not illegal in China. It has been learnt that electronics contract manufacturing company Foxconn employs teen labour on illegal working hours to meet demand for the device. Previous reports claimed that the supply of iPhone X units will be extremely limited until next year, with only half of the expected iPhone X supply to be made available this year.
Apple's decision to release three new phones this year, instead of the usual two models, has seen a surge in demand for the most expensive - the iPhone X. Sales of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, have stagnated.
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Samsung Galaxy S9 to have an enhanced Face recognition and Iris scanner
- Michiganders planning Thanksgiving travel to increase for 8th-straight year, AAA says
- Support Local Businesses on Small Business Saturday!
- Gujarat polls 2017: Congress agrees demands of Patidar community, says Hardik Patel
- Record-breaking temperatures and powerful winds for Thanksgiving
- The 'F**k Trump' Car Has a New Decal for Sheriff Troy Nehls
- New York Attorney General investigating fraud on net neutrality comment site
- Basel v Manchester United
- NFL should suspend Lynch for sitting during national anthem