Brick-and-mortar store traffic was lighter than usual following the early morning rush for door busters, according to CNN Money.
For shoppers not interested in the social aspect of Black Friday shopping, online purchases make much more sense, Hoegg said.
"On both Thanksgiving and Black Friday, the gap between mobile traffic and revenue is closing", Mericle added. At the very least, shoppers are turning to - and converting on - digital in record numbers. The company has projected sales on Thanksgiving Day to increase 15 percent year-over-year to $2.8 billion.
American consumers spent US$30.39 billion online between November 1 and 22, according to Adobe Analytics data, which covers 80 per cent of transactions made with the country's 100 largest e-retailers. During Black Friday 2016 more customers shopped online than in store, according to a survey undertaken by the National Retail Federation. That's up almost 18 per cent from the same timeframe previous year.
The real victor so far this season is mobile. Experts predict shoppers will spend some $672 billion on the day after Thanksgiving, traditionally the busiest shopping time of the year.
If you're hoping to bag a bargain in technology, small appliances, cutlery, kitchenware or Apple products then Black Friday is best for you. If you see one that would look ideal on your living room media console or hanging in your man cave, don't hesitate: A few of the best deals appear to already be sold out. In fact, smartphones account for just under half of all e-commerce traffic this year.
- Apple confirms that illegal labour was involved in iPhone X production plant
- Kevin Durant (ankle) rejoins Warriors' lineup for Thunder tilt
- President Trump discounts accusations against Roy Moore
- Trump, Putin talk Syria, N.Korea in 1-hour call
- Record-breaking temperatures and powerful winds for Thanksgiving
- Hundreds served at Salvation Army Thanksgiving Meal
- Google found to be collecting location data from Android users without permission
- SPOTTED: What Ibrahimovic Said To Lukaku vs Newcastle
- NASA Astronomers Detect Asteroid From Another System
- Uber paid off hackers in attempt to hide theft