BMW confirms its open-top i brand model receives newly designed seats, an updated head-up display as well a range of new trim options, including carbon-fiber elements on the dashboard and ceramic controls within the center console.
The world's highest selling plug-in hybrid sports auto has had a haircut, subbing the standard roof for a soft-top design. The open-top i8 carries forward all the hardware of the i8 Coupe along with the design language. BMW has been teasing this model for quite some time, but we finally get the chance to see it uncovered.
The resulting space between the roof box and the seats is around 3.5 square feet, while the rear cargo area can hold 4.7 square feet of your BMW i8 cargo area-shaped objects. The i8 roadster features a fabric soft top that can open or close in less than 16 seconds, at speeds up to 31 miles per hour. The Coupe can go from 0-60 miles per hour in 4.2 seconds while the Roadster takes just a tick longer at 4.4. For mixed driving the new beefier batteries of both Roadster and coupe should give a boost to real-world consumption (realistically, 40-50mpg) by ensuring the electric motor does more of the work, leaving the petrol unit idle more often.
The BMW i8 has been on sale now since 2014.
Under the hood of the 2019 all-wheel drive i8s are two electric motors and a three-cylinder turbocharged engine. Its cell capacity has risen from a previous 20 Ah to 34 Ah, with energy capacity increasing from 7.1 kWh to 11.6 kWh. In addition, it can be driven on electric power alone at speeds of up to 105 km/h (65 mph), up from 70 km/h (43 mph) in the original i8. The F90 BMW M5 will be arriving in USA showrooms in spring 2018 with an MSRP of $102,600 plus $995 Destination and Handling. The combined power output of 369bhp and 570Nm is channelled through a six-speed automatic gearbox to the rear wheels. Both cars benefit from gentle visual and mechanical upgrades, including an improved plug-in drivetrain with a bigger EV range and higher system power outputs too.
The Roadster gains 60kg over the coupe, mainly on account of the reworked chassis that allows for the folding roof.
While the 2019 i8 Coupe keeps its 2+2 configuration, the new BMW i8 Roadster is a 2-seater, meant for the enjoyment of its driver and one lucky passenger.
- Massage Envy Faces Claims of Sexual Misconduct in Massage Sessions
- Athos Capital Ltd Acquires New Holdings in Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM)
- Pakistan Army called in to take control of Islamabad as protests escalate
- Online Black Friday sales top $1.52 billion, less frenzy at USA stores
- Mourinho Worried About Losing Man Utd Star
- Former 'Glee' actress Naya Rivera arrested for domestic battery
- Mulvaney Arrives at CFPB Under Cloud of Uncertainty
- Why 49ers Appear Intent To Give Jimmy Garoppolo Franchise Tag In 2018
- Argentinian Erik Lamela set to return for Spurs trip to Leicester
- Klopp bemoans lack of luck after Chelsea draw