Hurricane Harvey made landfall in South Texas on August 25, leading to days of downpours that dumped more than 50 inches (1.3 meters) of rain.
In all, 17 named storms raked across the Atlantic Ocean basin. Hurricane Ophelia barreled towards the British Isles before weakening as it made landfall in Ireland.
Category 4 Harvey, the first major hurricane to hit the USA mainland since 2004, set a new US record for rainfall (60.5 inches near Nederland, Texas), the Miami Herald reported.
The hurricane season began with a transition from a neutral El Niño, or warming of Pacific waters, to a weak La Niña, or cooling of waters, according to AccuWeather.
That includes at least $32 billion in damages from Maria, $60 billion from Irma and $114 billion from Harvey. The death toll there stands at 58, but a CNN investigation revealed 499 deaths recorded by funeral homes.
The costliest hurricane season in history ended Thursday. "It only takes one storm to cause great devastation, so being prepared and having a plan is one of the biggest takeaways from this year's storm season". Therefore, the intensity forecasts are improving more slowly than track forecasts.
In July, Tropical Storm Emily made landfall on Florida's West Coast.
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.
At its strongest, Maria's winds reached 175 miles per hour.
The Atlantic saw a record 10 consecutive hurricanes this season - tying a record set in 1893. "Overall, both withstood the storm considering the damage to other areas of the Caribbean".
Conditions were ripe for the formation of so many strong systems, said Klotzbach, pointing to warmer-than-normal sea surface temperatures and the tropical Atlantic's lack of vertical wind shear, which can tear systems apart before they have a chance to form.
NOAA's National Water Center in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, supported local officials in Texas during Hurricane Harvey by providing specialized and supplemental "worst case" river flooding maps for a region that would experience days of excessive rainfall.
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Live Action Chinese Tale Mulan Will Indeed Star a Chinese Actress
- Avengers: Infinity War trailer officially releases; Check it out
- Google being sued for 'planting secret cookies on 5.4 million iPhone users'
- Online Black Friday sales top $1.52 billion, less frenzy at USA stores
- Jennifer Lawrence Reveals She's Rude to Fans to Protect Herself from Fame
- Clemson leads college playoff pack, but Alabama is lurking
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Epic Sues Minor for Cheating in Fortnite, Mother Responds
- BMW i8 Roadster revealed as its most gorgeous hybrid yet