Heavy rains claimed atleast 8 lives in the two states as cyclonic Ockhi intensified. However, adverse weather conditions were coming in the way of rescue operations. The system also had the potential of intensifying into a cyclonic storm around the latter part of the first week of December.
At least 80 fishermen and 50 boats have gone missing after cyclone Ockhi lashed the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu and Kerala with torrential rainfall and gusty winds. Several low lying areas were flooded. DGP Loknath Behra said cops had started evacuating people from low-lying areas. Hence, schools in Chennai, Kanyakumari, Tuticorin, Kancheepuram, Villupuram, Madurai, Theni, Thanjavur and Thiruvarur will remain closed today.
According to an India Meteorological Department bulletin issued at 08.30 am today, Ockhi continues to move to move west-northwestwards with a speed of 17 kmph. The authorities have directed revenue department to keep its offices open 24/7 in affected districts. Sea would be very rough to high over and around Lakshadweep Islands during next 12 hours and high to very high during subsequent 48 hours, it added. Heavy rainfall is expected at isolated places in Kerala during next 24 hours as well. Fishermen have been advised not to venture into sea along and off south Kerala coast. "Due to this heavy rains are expected in southern districts of Tamil Nadu and Kerala", the IMD said in a statement. Thunderstorms accompanied with squall and lightening likely at isolate places over Kerala.
Heavy winds with speed reaching 45-55 kmph gusting to 65 kmph likely along and off Kanyakumari, Tirunelveli, Thoothukudi, Ramanathapuram and Pudukottai coasts.
- Snapchat unveils redesign that separates social from media
- Athos Capital Ltd Acquires New Holdings in Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM)
- Clemson leads college playoff pack, but Alabama is lurking
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- User Tweets significant security issue with macOS High Sierra to Apple Support
- Massage Envy Faces Claims of Sexual Misconduct in Massage Sessions
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Google's Datally app will now help users save mobile data
- Online Black Friday sales top $1.52 billion, less frenzy at USA stores
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager