Chinese actress Liu Yifei is set to star as the titular female warrior in Disney's live-action adaptation of the classic Chinese epic, Mulan. In China, she is a popular actress with the public nickname "The Fairy Sister". Becoming a celebrity in the mid-2000s after breaking out on Chinese television, the actress has left a mark in the worldwide film industry, which is about to become much more impactful as she will star as one of Disney's most beloved heroines.
Liu Yifei, also known as Crystal Liu, is ready to defeat the Huns. Disney was under pressure to make the correct casting choice due to cultural accuracy and they focused on locally ethnically Chinese young women to play Hua Mulan. She has appeared in numerous films and television dramas.
She starred in films such as "The Forbidden Kingdom" opposite martial arts legends Jackie Chan and Jet Li in 2008, "Outcast" with Nicolas Cage and Hayden Christensen in 2014, and "Ip Man 3" with Donnie Yen and Mike Tyson in 2015. The website also observes she's acted as a brand ambassador for some of the biggest names in beauty: Dior, Tissot, Garnier and Pantene.
What do you think about Disney's casting of Liu Yifei as Mulan?
According to earlier reports, Liu was just one of a thousand actors who Disney considered for the role, in the past Disney execs have been adamant about hiring a Chinese actor for the part of Mulan.
The new Mulan is coming out sometime in 2019 and will be directed by The Zookeepers Wife's Niki Caro.
Ming-Na Wen voices Mulan in the original film, which also featured comedian Eddie Murphy as Mushu, while theatre actress Lea Salonga provided the character's singing voice.
- Black Friday Is Mutating
- Google being sued for 'planting secret cookies on 5.4 million iPhone users'
- Athos Capital Ltd Acquires New Holdings in Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM)
- Massage Envy Faces Claims of Sexual Misconduct in Massage Sessions
- Clemson leads college playoff pack, but Alabama is lurking
- I may have to drop out: Graduate students take on tax bill
- Search underway for missing North Carolina child
- Enhanced Odds: 33/1 on Watford or 7/1 on Man Utd
- Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel Peters Wins Miss Universe 2017
- Jennifer Lawrence Reveals She's Rude to Fans to Protect Herself from Fame