Fisher will not coach the Seminoles this Saturday in their regular season finale against Louisiana-Monroe.
"Coach Fisher did an exceptional job as both an assistant coach at FSU and in the challenging role of successor to the legendary Bobby Bowden", Florida State president John Thrasher said in a statement. That opened the door for A&M to make a run at FSU's 52-year old head coach. That game was postponed from September 9 and rescheduled to this coming weekend because of Hurricane Irma.
Sumlin went 51-26 in six seasons with the Aggies. A $7.5 million salary would have ranked third this season, behind only Nick Saban at Alabama ($11.1 million) and Dabo Swinney at Clemson ($8.5 million).
One factor that worked in Texas A&M's favor is that Fisher and Aggies athletic director Scott Woodward worked together when Fisher was offensive coordinator at LSU.
If he's willing to turn his back on Florida State and its fans that easily, what's to say he won't do the same to Texas A&M when things get tough?
"Jimbo's a great football coach and my hope would be that he stays at Florida State University, but if he has other opportunities that are more valuable to him and his family, then I certainly understand that", Thrasher said.
As drama played out this week, three players decommitted from Florida State. I expect them to make a hire in the coming week or so whoever the new coach turns out to be.
- Destiny 2 free trial goes live on November 28th
- Dead, 80 Fishermen Missing As Cyclone Ockhi Nears Lakshadweep: 10 Facts
- Massage Envy Faces Claims of Sexual Misconduct in Massage Sessions
- Clemson leads college playoff pack, but Alabama is lurking
- Google's Datally app helps keep your data use under control
- Qualcomm Is Suing Apple For The iPhone X
- PUBG mobile's trailer makes the game look like a Michael Bay movie
- 2017 Atlantic hurricane season in review — History Made
- Google being sued for 'planting secret cookies on 5.4 million iPhone users'
- User Tweets significant security issue with macOS High Sierra to Apple Support