Counting was in progress in six others where the saffron party was leading.
In 2012, the BJP had won 10 of 12 municipal corporations while one each was won by Independents backed by the SP and the BSP.
The BJP's victory shows that it will win all 80 seats in Uttar Pradesh in the next Lok Sabha elections in 2019, he said at the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit in New Delhi. In the vote count up until 1 p.m., the BJP had 99,243 votes while SP candidate Meera Vardhan had polled 60,740, Congress's Prema Awasthi 27,231 and BSP's Bulbul Godiyal 21,005 votes.
In the prestigious Ayodhya-Faizabad seat, The BJP candidate defeated Samajwadi Party's Bindu by around 4600 votes.
And, in the capital Lucknow, BJP's Sayunkta Bhatiya, who hails from a family with strong RSS ties, was elected as the city's first woman mayor. "This win motivates us to work even harder for people's betterment", tweets prime minister Narendra Modi.
BJP: 14 mayors, 571 municipal corporators, 58 nagar palika chairpersons, 754 nagar palika board members; 94 nagar panchayat chairpersons and 623 panchayat members.
The BJP president said the Opposition - the SP, BSP and Congress - were trounced in the Uttar Pradesh civic polls. Many congratulations to CM Yogi Adityanath and all party workers.
This was the first electoral attempt by 70-year-old Nadira Khatun, and she did not approach any political party for the ticker, said his son Shamim Ansari, who lost the last municipal elections to BJP with a margin of 64 votes only. BJP's candidate Maya Tripathi got second place with 1321 votes and lost her deposit to independent Nadira Khatun in a poor voting of 30.51 percent.
During the hectic poll campaign, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had asked voters to support the BJP the way they did in the 2014 Lok Sabha poll and the recent Assembly elections.
The ruling government arrived in power from the month of March in 2017 post the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) won 325 of the 403 assembly constituencies in the entire state.
- Christmas tree lots say supply is fine after scramble over shortages
- Donald Trump Says He's Got 'Nothing to Hide' on Michael Flynn
- PUBG mobile's trailer makes the game look like a Michael Bay movie
- Qualcomm Is Suing Apple For The iPhone X
- Georgia Leads Auburn by 3: SEC Championship First Half Analysis
- Xiaomi Redmi 5 And Redmi 5 Plus Are Coming With MIUI 9
- Jimbo Fisher Joins Texas A&M On Record-Breaking $75M Contract
- Kentucky Family Aids In Search For Missing North Carolina Toddler
- Google's Datally app helps keep your data use under control
- Cheong Wa Dae: Debate on 'Red Line' against N. Korea Meaningless