The debate heading into Sunday's announcement regards whether Ohio State or Alabama should make the playoff. Alabama was at No. 1 before the final week and was at No. 5 entering championship weekend. Alabama gets rewarded for having the cupcake Mercer on their schedule while Ohio State had an additional conference game.
Clemson won it's third straight ACC Championship this season, beating Miami 38-3 Saturday night. Oklahoma and Georgia will meet in the Rose Bowl semifinal a few hours earlier. No. 3 Georgia. The Sooners beat TCU in Saturday's Big 12 Championship Game while Georgia took down Auburn in the SEC title game.
This is the first time a team from the Big Ten Conference did not make the playoff.
It goes without saying that Delany is someone who has a lot of clout in the overarching process of all this - though, clearly, he did not have enough to ultimately get Ohio State in over Alabama.
The stage is set for another loaded College Football Playoff. The Tigers were the hottest team in the country in November, taking down two No. 1 teams at home, so a 26-14 loss to Auburn certainly isn't the worst loss among the teams in the playoff field. While Ohio State owns three impressive wins, over Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan State, the Buckeyes also have a 31-point loss to five-point Iowa on their résumé. And the selection committee chose to put in the Crimson Tide, leaving OSU out.
With how chaotic the final weeks of the season were, it raised the question of, if four is too small a number for the playoff field? After winning eight games last season, Georgia won the SEC for the first time since 2005. UCF did not lose a game all season and has no chance at a national title.
And for the third straight season, college football gets an Alabama-Clemson matchup in the playoff, though this time in the semifinals.
- Kentucky Family Aids In Search For Missing North Carolina Toddler
- The Biggest And Brightest Supermoon Of The Year Is Happening This Weekend
- Qualcomm Is Suing Apple For The iPhone X
- Christmas tree lots say supply is fine after scramble over shortages
- Houthi Leader Says Saleh Supporters' Behavior 'Unjustifiable', Urges Wisdom
- Invite Your Destiny 2 Ghost to Your Amazon Alexa-Enabled Device
- Favourable World Cup draws for Russian Federation and England
- All the best reaction as England draw Belgium, Panama and Tunisia
- Donald Trump Says He's Got 'Nothing to Hide' on Michael Flynn
- Super "Frost" moon this weekend