"[Messenger Kids] doesn't overcome the issues of screen time and screen use and all the other issues that go with technology and kids", Stephen Balkam, CEO of the Family Online Safety Institute, told The Post. While the app operates as its own version of Messenger, kid's accounts are actually nested under their parent's accounts.
"Why should parents simply trust that Facebook is acting in the best interest of kids?" Although Facebook remains the largest social network - and Messenger has grown into one of the most popular messaging platforms in the world - signing up new users now presents a new challenge, given how mature and wide-reaching they already are.
Kids will also have access to GIFs, stickers and other content Facebook said has been vetted to ensure it's appropriate for children.
"Kids as young as 10 years old easily get 300 text messages a day from social media interactions; this is too stressful".
According to Head of Messenger David Marcus, offering Messenger Kids is another way to give parents more control over what their children read, see and hear on smartphones and tablets, which have become commonplace inside and outside the home. So what, exactly, is Facebook's motive for opening things to younger children?
Sensing it could face criticism for developing a product that would help convert kids to regular Facebook users after they turn thirteen, Facebook cleverly prepared a defense in advance, notes The Verge.
Facebook normally requires users to be at least 13 years old.
Facebook also said that it will block children from sharing nudity, sexual or violent content, and have a dedicated moderation team to respond to flagged content.
But kids can't sign up on their own.
- Jimbo Fisher Joins Texas A&M On Record-Breaking $75M Contract
- Huawei Nova 2s images and specs leaked; Packs some serious camera hardware
- Shohei Ohtani Informs Yankees That He Is Not Signing With Them
- Donald Trump Says He's Got 'Nothing to Hide' on Michael Flynn
- IOS 11.2 brings three new Live Wallpapers to iPhone X users
- Mega Man X Collection Coming in 2018
- Alabama Joins Clemson, Oklahoma and Georgia in Playoff
- Wisconsin finishes sixth in final College Football Playoff rankings
- Cheong Wa Dae: Debate on 'Red Line' against N. Korea Meaningless
- 49ers beat Bears 15-14 with 5 field goals from Robbie Gould