More than 600 firefighters battled the blaze amid strong Santa Ana winds, some gusting at 70 miles per hour.
As of Tuesday night, at least 30 homes were destroyed, about 20 of them in the Little Tujunga, Kagel Canyon and Lopez Canyon areas. The Skirball Fire is in mostly residential areas causing evacuation, and UCLA students were given the option to go to class. The La Tuna Fire in September also sent massive amounts of smoke into the air above Los Angeles and forced the evacuation of hundreds of homes. The Santa Anas are strong, dry winds that high-pressure systems push from east to west, from the mountains and desert areas down into the Los Angeles area. Other agencies assisting including the U.S. Forest Service. Fifty-two fire engines were deployed to the scene. Terrazas urged people to monitor news broadcasts and social media, including www.LAFD.org. Helicopters on sight. Evacuation centers set up at rec centers.
The fire led to the closure of multiple freeways, include the very congested 405.
Southern California faces another day of horrifying fire and destruction as the devastating Skirball fire moves west toward Los Angeles.
Stunned motorists found the hillside ablaze and gridlock below as fire raced towards the homes of numerous city's rich and famous.
About 9 a.m., the southbound freeway was reopened, but some onramps and offramps remained closed in the area, as was a section of Mulholland Drive, the CHP reported.
Nearly 200,000 people lost power in Ventura County on Tuesday, making it challenging for the 1,100 firefighters to put out the flames.
- Honor 7x vs. Honor 6x vs. Honor 9i - How do they differ?
- Halftime observations from New Jersey: Jets 21, Chiefs 17
- Mitt Romney: Moore's Victory Would Be 'Stain' on US, GOP
- Brokers Recommendations on: Kinder Morgan, Inc. (NYSE:KMI)
- Apple Pay Cash Is Not Working for Many iOS 11.2 Users
- Christian charity concerned by Facebook's new app for kids
- Ball: I 'didn't get a thank you' for shoes sent to president
- Pogba confident United can cope with City threat
- Afghan soil used in Peshawar university attack
- December supermoon dazzles in morning sky