Google began blocking YouTube access for Echo Show users this week, and is informing Amazon Fire TV users that the service won't be available on their devices after the first of next year. Not too long ago, most people's money would have been firmly in the Google corner, but we feel that balance has shifted, and investor's will be backing Amazon to emerge from this duel unscathed.
The stakes are high: many in the technology industry expect that interacting with computers by voice will become widespread, and it is unclear if Amazon, Google or another company will dominate the space.
"We've been trying to reach agreement with Amazon to give consumers access to each other's products and services", Google said in a statement. "We hope to resolve this with Google as soon as possible".
YouTube being pulled from the Echo Show effective immediately which means owners will no longer be able to watch videos from the site.
"The dispute disadvantages consumers in two ways", says the BBC.
That latter stipulation has been frequently criticised by streaming services, including music platforms like Spotify, because Apple's cut from the subscription would take away those companies' entire (best case scenario) profit margin. This is bad news for consumers, as streaming boxes have been and are expected to continue to be one of the most popular gift items, since they are (mostly) affordably priced. The beef between these two companies now runs much deeper than streaming video, which makes swift resolution hard to envision.
If you've been waiting for Amazon Prime Video to land on your Apple TV, you don't have to wait any longer. The two companies reportedly had trouble negotiating while wearing the hats of both partners and competitors.
Amazon Prime Video finally arrives on Apple TV, but don't hold your breath for Chromecast support.
Amazon Prime Video is available now on Apple TV for free. Apple TV and Apple TV 4K are still not available on Amazon's retail channels, but it's not clear whether that's because it wasn't part of the negotiations or just hasn't happened yet. Whereas Amazon and Google sell cheap hardware monetized by services, Apple's core business involves selling superior hardware at a premium price.
- Chester Bennington's Autopsy Report Released
- Google Amazon Feud affects Customers
- Evacuations ordered in Bel Air as wildfire burns near the 405 freeway
- Top coaches cautious after 2018 FIFA World Cup draw
- Mayfield, Love, Jackson Named Heisman Finalists
- Black Mirror season 4 gets a new trailer, posters and premiere date
- Starbucks Partners with Alibaba in Opening AR Roastery
- Sam Smith Asked If He's Team Taylor Swift or Team Kim Kardashian
- Christian charity concerned by Facebook's new app for kids
- Good stocks to great stocks: Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC)