"I don't understand why the ref is doing that (give the penalty)".
Both would be brought on, but the brilliant Salah, who had broken Everton's resistance with a fine left-footed strike, had been withdrawn by the time Rooney kept his cool from 12 yards out.
Liverpool dominated chances and possession in the Merseyside derby on Super Sunday, and Carragher questioned why Croatian defender Lovren was running at young striker Calvert-Lewin at such pace when the Everton man was heading towards the corner flag.
The likes of James Milner, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah were heavily involved from the off, but struggled to carve out any clear-cut goalscoring opportunities until a moment of brilliance 5 minutes before the interval handed Liverpool the lead that they fully deserved. That's what I said.
"It was an extremely big decision for Craig Pawson and I'm really pleased he's taken the decision after seeing what he's seen and given the penalty".
"The other team was not even in our box, I don't know if they had a shot on target apart from the penalty".
"Of all the challenges in this game, and only one team is playing [football], you give such a penalty, that's unbelievable", he said. "[Lovren] doesn't make a challenge, Calvert-Lewin makes a step [towards him]". Yet it was still a slender lead and when Liverpool were bidding to regain the lead, their talismanic forward was already off the pitch in what looked like a odd call from Klopp.
Klopp's side are now unbeaten in 10 games in all competitions, and stretched their unbeaten run against Everton in all competitions to a record-equalling 15 games.
If the Liverpool manager needs to make any changes during the course of the match he can look to his bench, where options include Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino. Firmino eventually came on for Salah.
"People can call it soft, but you don't do that kind of thing".
And after Owen, who scored 158 goals in 297 appearances for Liverpool, defended Lovren on Sunday, he was accused of pandering to his former fans in the hope of winning them back onside. I couldn't blame our lads too much.
- Trump Blames Potential Government Shutdown On Democrats
- No plane, helicopter, for South Korea's Kim assassination unit
- Tamba Hali active for Chiefs, Raiders' Amari Cooper set to play
- Conte Eyes Win Vs West Ham To Close Gap On United, City
- Gwyneth Paltrow: Harvey Weinstein lied about me to lure other women
- Truck Ad Featuring Ivanka Trump Bashing Roy Moore Trolls Dad's Rally
- How 'I, Tonya' tackled its controversial domestic violence scenes
- Horrific video! Muslim man brutally beaten, burnt to death over love jihad
- Salvation Army kettles raise $15400 so far
- CNN corrects story on email to Trumps about Wikileaks