Firmino would equalize soon after, in yet another goalkeeping gaffe, this time on the opposite end, but the writing was on the wall - two structurally-deficient and subpar defensive units were once again at the heart of the six-goal thriller - a common occurrence in the Arsenal-Liverpool fixtures of recent past.
He put in his usual everywhere-on-the-pitch-at-once performance and complimenting the attack with great passing and intelligent forward runs (his pass to Salah that led to Coutinho's goal was inch-perfect).
The last round of games before Christmas is headlined by a hugely anticipated clash between Arsenal and Liverpool.
The last four games between the sides has seen 18 goals scored in total and with Liverpool now the most feared attacking team in the Premier League behind Manchester City, it's only fair to expect goals tonight but where will they be coming from? The scoring was opened by a deft little header from Liverpool's Phillipe Coutinho.
The visitors suffered an early blow when skipper Jordan Henderson limped off with a hamstring injury.
Salah missed a golden opportunity to make it two, as the Egyptian saw an effort saved by Cech before Sadio Mane fired over with the rebound.
NBCSN announcer Arlo White fittingly summed up the match with a Star Wars-themed quote in the midst of a wacky second half: "It's not often I quote Luke Skywalker, ... but I think the phrase "This isn't going to go the way you think" is apt".
In the aftermath of Friday's game, Arsene Wenger admitted that his side had been "frozen" in the first half. The fault of the second Gunner goal, a long-range strike could be laid at the feet of goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who somehow managed to only get one hand up to let a barely-swerving, long-range strike from Xhaka in from right down the middle of the goal.
Liverpool were stunned and the sky fell in on them when Ozil fired Arsenal in front after a superb back heel by Alexandre Lacazette to send the home crowd into delirium. "It was a thrilling game", he said.
Few of the 59,000 present would disagree.
- Apple Admits It Slows Down Older Phones
- Montana officials report increase in influenza cases
- Woman, 3 children dead in Brooklyn house fire
- Rays Reportedly Trade Evan Longoria To San Francisco
- Rohit Sharma: India batsman equals fastest Twenty20 global century against Sri Lanka
- Chelsea draw Premier League oppposition in semi-finals of the Carabao Cup
- Nokia 9 leaked specifications reveal OLED display, Android Oreo
- Amazon Just Released an Official Amazon Prime Video App for Android TV
- No.1 Mi Fan Sale: Xiaomi offers top deals on smartphones, accessories
- This weekend promises rain and ice, and, just maybe, a white Christmas