Freezing rain changes over to plain rain by the afternoon as temperatures climb into the mid to upper 30s. Total snow accumulations of up to two inches are expected. Roads were slick and troublesome Christmas morning, especially on less traveled roads.
The Christmas Day holiday looks pretty good, just cold. Today it's the ice and rain, and Christmas it's the snow and some rain.
We'll be dry for most of Tuesday but a weak system moving in from the south will bring a rain/snow mix Tuesday night and early Wednesday before transitioning to all rain. O'Hare International Airport had seen 1.8 inches of snow by 5:55 p.m.
The National Weather Service reports that after 1 p.m. on Sunday through Christmas Day on Monday, the area could see about five inches of snow.
Snow accumulations of three to five inches are expected north of a line from Rushville in west central IL, to Danville in east central IL, in an area that includes McLean County.
Temperatures are expected to reach 27 degrees by mid-morning and peak in the mid- to upper- 30s. Snow could fall at a rate of a half inch per hour on Sunday afternoon, the weather service said. Temperatures drop into the teens Christmas night, as they likely will do each and every night for the rest of the week as arctic air settles in. And other facts about the weather on Christmas Day in the Electric City.
The "Christmas Blizzard of 2009" raged over south central Nebraska and northern Kansas for 18 to 24 hours straight-with 30- to 60-mile-per-hour winds creating frequent "white-out" conditions.
Northern Westchester and Rockland counties in NY and parts of northwest New Jersey, including Passaic, Sussex and Warren counties are also likely to get snow. This will make travel a "slow go", and possibly even a "no go" for a time early tomorrow morning.
- Pre-Pay Property Taxes Now to Keep Deduction
- UCLA's Rosen prefers Giants over Browns in draft
- Civilization 6 Is Now Available on iPad
- What the Jets were saying after their loss to the Chargers
- America's opioid crisis behind 'shocking' two-year drop in life expectancy
- NFL Predictions: Will Steelers vs. Texans Go Over Betting Total? 12/25/17
- A Cold Christmas this year!
- Churches to hold Christmas Eve Candlelight services
- Eagles Clinch Home-Field Advantage With 19-10 Win Over Oakland
- Liverpool hold Arsenal in six goals thriller