Two competing technologies for delivering wireless charging over the air have been given regulatory nods by the Federal Communications Commission to begin manufacturing and selling wireless power chargers in the United States.
In August this year, an Israeli technology startup - Wi-Charge - developed a remote charging solution that essentially enables mobile and wireless devices to seamlessly recharge themselves without user intervention. But it uses a different wireless charging tech based on magnetic resonance. Those systems are often marketed as "wireless" charging, but haven't proven very popular over more than a decade on the market. That said, the wireless charging supported device should come with necessary hardware.
WattUp Wireless Charging Works From Four Metres Away
Energous demoed its WattUp long-range wireless charging products time and again, suggesting that Apple's iPhone may be a customer. This is the first certification for such device from Energous which means it can be used by other groups. In theory, any device that has the receiver connected to will be able to use this technology. The company posted a video of the 15-foot transmission back in 2014, which likely still gives a decent idea of how the FCC-certified version works. Let us know below. This is good news for the consumer electronics industry as wireless charging can be a real standard quickly. But in the near-future, companies like Energous could sell compatible cases which bring power-at-a-distance to existing smartphones. The company also claims that WattUp can charge multiple devices and will keep on charging a particular device within the range until the battery of the device is completely charged.
While contact-based wireless charging can be handy, the true holy grail is long-range charging - allowing all products to be automatically charged anywhere in a room. You wouldn't need to "plug" anything into the device, but because you still need to hold it in a fixed location, the degree of additional convenience it offers isn't that significant.
- India vs Sri Lanka 3rd T20 Live Score Updates
- Patriots Benefit From Another Overturned TD With Controversial Play Against Bills
- Some snow makes for a white Christmas
- Churches to hold Christmas Eve Candlelight services
- A Cold Christmas this year!
- Salvation Army serves up holiday meals to 300
- Eagles Clinch Home-Field Advantage With 19-10 Win Over Oakland
- Liverpool 5-0 Swansea: Liverpool Thrash Swansea in Blistering Boxing Day Display
- Ousted Catalan leader offers to meet PM outside Spain
- Harry Maguire's last-minute goal leaves Manchester United further behind Manchester City