The revised version of the manual is slated to appear in 2018 and is expected to classify addiction to video games as a separate condition called "gaming disorder".
Prince and her two sons have an understanding. That said, "Internet Gaming Disorder" was also proposed for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) in 2013, but was ultimately slated for further study because of a lack of evidence supporting its inclusion.
In the latest draft of its International Classification of Diseases, the World Health Organization stated the behavior can "result in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning".
"In fact, I asked my son today, 'Do you think you're addicted to video games?' And he said hmm, maybe", Prince said. While this may not have caused too many problems back in the arcade era as, eventually, a player would simply run out of quarters, the rapid development of home consoles has kept a generation of kids and adults glued to their controllers. "One of the rules we've always had is you're not going to go out there and just play online with someone you don't know, or just unlimited access".
Sharma and his colleagues have seen dozens of young people - the youngest a 11-year-old and the oldest a 20-year-old - over the past three years at the Nimhans Service for Healthy Use of Technology (SHUT) clinic, the first exclusively for patients with technology-related addictive behaviour.
"If someone isn't taking care of their body, if someone isn't eating well, if someone is having mood swings and getting anxious or they feel like they're dependent, if they're not using the game or around the game they feel an emptiness", said Kjome.
- Ousted Catalan leader offers to meet PM outside Spain
- Flu season gets boost during holiday week
- James Harrison on Tom Brady: 'Finally a teammate that's older than me'
- Gov. Hutchinson: Prepayment of Property Taxes up to County Officials
- Empire State Realty Trust Incorporated (NYSE:ESRT) Shorted Shares Decreased By 2.18%
- UFC pres. Dana White fans the flames on Floyd Mayweather rumors
- Eagles Clinch Home-Field Advantage With 19-10 Win Over Oakland
- Barack Obama warns Prince Harry of society being splintered by online biases
- Harry Maguire's last-minute goal leaves Manchester United further behind Manchester City
- NFL Predictions: Will Steelers vs. Texans Go Over Betting Total? 12/25/17