When temperatures drop to single digits, there's a risk of pipes freezing. It's also advised to let the water faucet drip.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near outside walls.
"There will be a main valve so if the water is frozen, you want to turn the water off, if you can, because once it thaws you're gonna have water all over the place", said Tryjankowski.
Mobile homes are especially vulnerable to frozen pipes due to the empty space under them.
Customers of City of Kalamazoo water services are being urged to keep one tap of water running to prevent pipes from freezing. Also, If you plan on going away, leave the heat on in your home and set it no lower than 55 degrees.
Add insulation to under-insulated areas such as attics and crawl spaces.
Inside of Cupboards: Homes without basements may have the service line and water meter in a cupboard within the home. Disconnect your hose and keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break. They need properly installed insulation and heat tape on exterior pipes.
"It's always more cost effective to insulate the pipes in your house than to deal with what happens in they freeze", Barrilleaux said.
If you can't find the pipe causing the problem - call a professional. Aqua Ohio says the additional cost of the water is cheaper than the cost of repairing broken pipes. You may need to cover venting for the winter, protect plumbing with wrap or other, and see that the area under the home is not below freezing.
- UFC pres. Dana White fans the flames on Floyd Mayweather rumors
- Can Marathon Oil Corporation (MRO) Stock Muster Up another Rally?
- Gov. Hutchinson: Prepayment of Property Taxes up to County Officials
- Arctic invasion continues with even more cold on the way
- Barack Obama warns Prince Harry of society being splintered by online biases
- Apple Loses Legal Battle Against Italian Clothing Company "Steve Jobs"
- Amid controversy, lawsuits, Apple announces new battery policy for iPhone users
- Police shoot dead man after alleged Call of Duty 'swatting' hoax
- Snapchat are developing a new feature that everyone will want to use
- Predicted Reds XI for Premier League clash v Leicester