That was the coldest December on record with an average temperature of 18.1 degrees! However, temperatures are expected to drop to the upper 40s or low 50s by midnight, he said. "Luckily my brother knows about this so he's switching over to a new pipe so hopefully she doesn't have to go through this year after year", she says.
When the ball drops in Chicago, it's expected to feel like minus-10 degrees outside, according to AccuWeather, a private weather service based in State College, Pennsylvania.
For what it's worth, highs will be hanging out around 10° during the afternoon on New Year's Day. The mercury will plunge to near zero Monday night. Temperatures will fall steadily through the 20s after sunset, with wind chills in the teens. Look for a very cold New Year's Eve with temps in the teens. As this dry, arctic air approaches, it will be hard to squeeze out any moisture this far south. And again, afternoon temperatures will struggle to climb above freezing.
If skies clear overnight Monday into Tuesday morning and winds lighten up, temperatures could plummet into the teens.
A reinforcing shot of arctic cold air will build in just in time for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. This frigid air will finally begin to retreat back to the north by the first weekend of January. This would be the worst case scenario as that much ice accumulation could bring down tree branches and power lines and cause widespread power outages as the brutal cold arrives.
There is a 30 percent chance of precipitation Saturday night that could include freezing drizzle with a 30 percent chance of snow and freezing drizzle Sunday. High temperatures will only reach the middle single digits, keeping wind chills from minus 5 to minus 15 degrees through the day.
- Amid controversy, lawsuits, Apple announces new battery policy for iPhone users
- Excessive video gaming to be recognized as mental health disorder
- WattUp Wireless Charging Works From Four Metres Away
- Lady Luck Could be Smiling as Mega Millions, Powerball Jackpots Grow
- The great, eco-friendly alternative to dumping your Christmas tree
- PUBG hits 3 million concurrent players, breaking its own record
- Wind Chill Advisory Issued as Bitter Cold Expected Today
- IL among states with "widespread" flu activity
- Near term Outlook For Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATVI)
- Apple Loses Legal Battle Against Italian Clothing Company "Steve Jobs"