Tony Granato's U.S. Olympic men's hockey team doesn't have any former University of Wisconsin players on the roster, but four former Badgers players are on the American women's hockey squad. "I'm extremely excited about the prospect of going over there and winning gold".
The 2018 team features numerous players who went to the Deutschland Cup in Germany in October in what amounted to both a trial and their only warm-up games ahead of Pyeongchang. This was due to a financial dispute with the International Olympic Committee, a lack of interest in Pyeongchang as a hockey market, and the League's inability to leverage collective bargaining concessions from the NHLPA.
This is an entirely different dynamic with the N.H.L. choosing not to send players, as national federations couldn't pick any player with an active NHL contract.
This decision may have impacted Team USA more than anyone.
The rosters for the United States men's, women's Olympic teams and the roster United States Paralympics teams were announced during the second period of the 2018 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic at Citi Field. "I would have never (thought I'd) been saying to myself I will probably be playing in the Olympics in my junior year of college".
After claiming the last four world titles, the US women are poised to return to the top of the podium 20 years later. "I think it's something that players really wanted to do, but we couldn't find a way to make it work".
Several players from the Chicago Blackhawks Sled Hockey Team were also named to the Paralymic sled hockey team Monday. Three other players with Minnesota ties-Bloomington native and former Gopher Ryan Stoa, former Wild defenseman Jonathon Blum and former St. Cloud State forward Garrett Roe-also made the team.
Kim, the top DPRK leader, said in his New Year speech earlier in the day that his country will take necessary measures to prepare to take part in the sports event, including the inter-Korean talks on the DPRK's participation.
Cammi Granato led the Americans to the gold medal in the first Olympic women's hockey tournament in 1998, but Canada has won the last four times.
Team USA play their first game against Slovenia on February 14.
This year's roster includes three goalies new to the U.S. Olympic Team, led by Alex Rigsby, the final goalie cut from the 2014 team pool, who has played for Team USA in the last three world championships. "It's something that I've moved on from", he said.
- Raiders looking to reunite with Jon Gruden
- Meghan Markle's sister unleashes on Prince Harry over family comments
- Man Utd midfielder Pogba admits: We feel the pressure from behind us
- Instagram users to now see 'recommended posts' in home feed
- Tips for riders taking Uber on New Year's Eve
- West Brom boss Alan Pardew: Point deserved. Players gave everything
- City of Binghamton urges residents to take measures to prevent frozen pipes
- Dirk Koetter will return to coach Tampa Bay Buccaneers next season
- Game time set for Bills vs. Jaguars in AFC Wild-Card playoff
- Samsung responds to recently-uncovered Galaxy Note8 battery problem