In a report by Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Giants have already expressed their intent to interview a couple of candidates to take over the job of interim head coach Steve Spagnuolo, who replaced former head coach Ben McAdoo early last December. The Patriots have a first-round bye in the playoffs which means the Giants can request to interview McDaniels next week during the bye. Schefter also reported that the Detroit Lions have done the same for Patricia. They are looking for a coach to replace Ben McAdoo, who was sacked last month, along with general manager Jerry Reese. Co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch will make the final decisions. Coach Bill Belichick praised his assistants and said, "We'll see how it goes". Looking at him for the top job could be a way for the Cardinals to get around the Pats needing to grant permission for Flores to interview for the Cardinals' defensive coordinator opening in the event they hire Patricia.
"I've gone through it before, which is helpful in terms of being able to balance that and multitask it", McDaniels said.
Patricia, 43, is not mentioned as frequently as McDaniels but is just as hot a name on the coaching circuit.
Before that, he served as the head coach of the Raiders from 1998 to 2001. He was the Denver Broncos' head coach during the 2009-10 seasons, posting an 11-17 record.
Gruden, 54, has not coached since 2009 after he was sacked from the Buccaneers following seven seasons and a 2003 Super Bowl championship.
Black Monday is officially upon us and that means head coaches all across the National Football League are being fired, while other potential candidates are looking to be hired. McDaniels has been the Patriots' offensive coordinator twice, most recently since 2012.
- Erie Native Named Goaltender for 2018 US Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team
- Packers end season with loss
- Tips for riders taking Uber on New Year's Eve
- Cleveland Browns stare down 0-16 season, trail Steelers 21-14
- Game time set for Bills vs. Jaguars in AFC Wild-Card playoff
- Instagram users to now see 'recommended posts' in home feed
- Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers won't return in 2018
- City of Binghamton urges residents to take measures to prevent frozen pipes
- Bitterly cold start to the New Year
- CBFC clears decks for release of Padmavati: Here's how politicians reacted