I've seen an 8K resolution display before at CES although it is not an OLED panel. He'll be in Vegas to see LG's new hotness next week, so perhaps we'll have more details about the display then. With a resolution of 7680 x 4320, 8K offers four times the pixel density of 4K, and is expected to gain a level of commercial traction by 2020. Plus, if LG's new set ever does reach store shelves, it will likely cost as much as a new Miata; LG now sells a 77-inch OLED TV that's only 4K for a whopping $20,000. Not because LG pays us to say so or because we just have a bias towards their products (we're also nearly invariably critical of the company's rather crappy budget 4K UHD TVs), but because OLED really is some of the best 4K TV display technology we've ever seen for faithfully rendering consumer entertainment in 4K HDR.
LG seems to have raised the bar once again by unveiling what can be called as the highest resolution OLED screen for now. And now, LG is revealing what it's holding under its sleeves for the television department. Samsung, a prominent name in display market, has patented a new foldable display.
Samsung has been granted a patent for a rollable OLED display with a built-in fingerprint scanner, hinting at the future of where its mobile devices could go. Of course, it will take a while before 8K televisions become a standard.
In a pre-CES press release, LG says: "The 8K OLED displays can also maintain their slimmer design, as the self-emissive OLEDs do not need backlight units". Even the 77-inch 4K OLED from a year ago still costs $20,000 United States dollars.
As such, if price alone isn't the factor, the lack of quality content shot in native 8K resolution should be another reason not to opt for the TV just yet.
Announcing an 224cm 8K display is just the kind of big, showy move a display maker like LG needs to set itself apart from the competition.
- Meghan Markle's sister unleashes on Prince Harry over family comments
- Pogba: Manchester United woke up at Everton
- Game time set for Bills vs. Jaguars in AFC Wild-Card playoff
- Peach Bowl: UCF vs
- Man Utd midfielder Pogba admits: We feel the pressure from behind us
- Lok Sabha passes Bill to criminalise Triple Talaq
- Instagram users to now see 'recommended posts' in home feed
- Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers won't return in 2018
- Erie Native Named Goaltender for 2018 US Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team
- Madrid to make Hazard move — Gossip