I've seen an 8K resolution display before at CES although it is not an OLED panel. He'll be in Vegas to see LG's new hotness next week, so perhaps we'll have more details about the display then. With a resolution of 7680 x 4320, 8K offers four times the pixel density of 4K, and is expected to gain a level of commercial traction by 2020. Plus, if LG's new set ever does reach store shelves, it will likely cost as much as a new Miata; LG now sells a 77-inch OLED TV that's only 4K for a whopping $20,000. Not because LG pays us to say so or because we just have a bias towards their products (we're also nearly invariably critical of the company's rather crappy budget 4K UHD TVs), but because OLED really is some of the best 4K TV display technology we've ever seen for faithfully rendering consumer entertainment in 4K HDR.
LG seems to have raised the bar once again by unveiling what can be called as the highest resolution OLED screen for now. And now, LG is revealing what it's holding under its sleeves for the television department. Samsung, a prominent name in display market, has patented a new foldable display.
Samsung has been granted a patent for a rollable OLED display with a built-in fingerprint scanner, hinting at the future of where its mobile devices could go. Of course, it will take a while before 8K televisions become a standard.
In a pre-CES press release, LG says: "The 8K OLED displays can also maintain their slimmer design, as the self-emissive OLEDs do not need backlight units". Even the 77-inch 4K OLED from a year ago still costs $20,000 United States dollars.
As such, if price alone isn't the factor, the lack of quality content shot in native 8K resolution should be another reason not to opt for the TV just yet.
Announcing an 224cm 8K display is just the kind of big, showy move a display maker like LG needs to set itself apart from the competition.
- Music City Bowl: Northwestern survives Kentucky
- West Brom boss Alan Pardew: Point deserved. Players gave everything
- Samsung responds to recently-uncovered Galaxy Note8 battery problem
- First baby of the year born in Limerick
- NFL Head Coaching Rumors: Matt Patricia For Lions, Josh McDaniels For Colts
- CBFC clears decks for release of Padmavati: Here's how politicians reacted
- Apple plans to buy Netflix: Wants to dominate the streaming service market!
- James Harden leaves game versus Lakers with left leg injury
- Hardik Patel advises 'unhappy' Gujarat Dy CM Nitin Patel to join Congress
- Pogba: Manchester United woke up at Everton