As for the TVs themselves, Hisense is mum on them for now, but I'm sure we'll see more details on their TV sets next week at CES. And 69% of Google Home owners said they'd choose another Google gadget.
Apple aims to make a profit on the device itself and bolster sales of its $9.99 per month Apple Music subscription, analysts said.
While Whirlpool's expected to be the first to launch the new Alexa cooking capability for its connected microwaves (no exact date has been given), Amazon also announced Samsung, GE, Kenmore and LG are all working to bring the new Alexa cooking capability to market.
The move might have created some tension with Microsoft, which has been fashioning its own Cortana assistant as the AI of choice for enterprise.
Amazon and Google, meanwhile, are eager to give consumers a taste of their respective digital assistants, Alexa and Google Assistant, at impulse-buy prices, hoping to lock in customers and profit from later sales of goods and data about buying habits.
Do you really need a desk lamp or refrigerator that's always listening for voice commands? The ad placements may mean that ads appear within content streamed through Echo speakers, or that Alexa may cross-sell additional products as users make shopping lists and research products. And if you have smart home products installed in your home, Alexa will be able to help you with controlling them as well. For third-party hardware makers, the challenge this year will be to find the use cases that actually stick. Although lacking the smart home interaction of Alexa and Google Assistant, the Roku Entertainment Assistant will make it easier for you to play media with a voice command. Google's answer is reportedly coming this year, with deep YouTube and Google Photos integration.
Smart speakers are now the kings of consumer technology, according to a new report from Canalys.
Initially, there are four new capability interfaces in the Smart Home Skill API and it includes Alexa.Cooking, Alexa.Cooking.TimeController, Alexa.TimeHoldController, and Alexa.CookingPresetController.
More consumers will be using voice in the home to get things done.
- Hardik Patel advises 'unhappy' Gujarat Dy CM Nitin Patel to join Congress
- Game time set for Bills vs. Jaguars in AFC Wild-Card playoff
- First baby of the year born in Limerick
- Music City Bowl: Northwestern survives Kentucky
- Oakville's 2018 Polar Bear Dip Cancelled
- Raiders looking to reunite with Jon Gruden
- Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers won't return in 2018
- NFL Head Coaching Rumors: Matt Patricia For Lions, Josh McDaniels For Colts
- Erie Native Named Goaltender for 2018 US Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team
- James Harden leaves game versus Lakers with left leg injury