According to data from the Ohio Department of Health, the last week of 2017 had 925 flu-associated hospitalizations. The U.S. approved the shot under the FDA's accelerated approval program in late 2015.
But Dr Kieran Sharrock, medical director of Lincolnshire LMC, said that NHS England's advice had come "too late" for many practices.
"The increase, most (flu) cases is what we see right now", Maynard said.
The Deseret News reports the state health department has recorded that more than 400 residents have been hospitalized due to the illness this season.
Doctors blame an aggressive strain of the influenza virus, H3N2, and a flu vaccine that's proven to be only about 30 percent effective against it.
And Leslie Dougherty, health educator for La Salle County Health Department, said there's no reason to think La Salle County is bucking that trend.
"The nasal spray vaccine previous year reduced children's risk of flu by 65% meaning they were less likely to spread it to relatives and others they come into close with".
That year saw 15 flu deaths statewide, the most in recent memory, according to health officials. Christian said flu activity in Tennessee is widespread and officials are urging everyone over 6 months old to get a shot.
"The vaccine is the best protection there is against flu", he added. "We recommend it particularly for folks in the high-risk groups - young children, the elderly, pregnant mothers and those with chronic illnesses".
Emergency room doctors in Escondido, California have set up a special tent outside the hospital to handle a surge in flu patients.
"It turns out that that's about as good the flu vaccine has always been", he said.
Other precautions include washing hands often with soap and water; avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth; and avoiding contact with sick people.
"They need to protect that baby with a cocoon of people who are vaccinated around them so they are less likely to make that very vulnerable baby sick." she said.
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Why Apple's acquisition of Buddybuild is bad news for Android developers
- LG Develops 88-Inch 8K OLED Display
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Trump wants 'Deep State Justice Dept' to probe Huma Abedin
- Lottery Fever Sweeps Stateline, Combined Jackpot $1B
- Meltdown, Specter bugs: Apple iPhones, ipad, Macs at risk
- Conte discusses Chelsea's draw with Arsenal and Morata's misses