South African veteran pacer Dale Steyn may not take further part in the ongoing first Test against India due to a left heel injury which might force him to miss the next two matches of the series.
Vernon Philander took career-best figures of 6/42 to bowl India out for 135 in their second innings in the first test at Newlands, helping the Proteas record a 73-run victory. India are now on top in the Newlands Test and will be aiming to register their first win at this venue.
Both teams now head to SuperSport Park in Centurion for the second test, which starts on 13 January.
Pandya's enterprising innings, which featured 14 fours and a six, came mainly while dominating a 99-run stand with Bhuvneshwar Kumar (25 off 86) for the eighth wicket as India recovered from 92-7 to reach 209 all out in reply to South Africa's 246.
Captain Faf du Plessis referred to the tactic as a bit of a gamble.
"They create relentless pressure", Kohli said.
Hardik Pandya left took two wickets after top-scoring in India's first innings. Gianluigi Guercia AFP
Philander struck again when Rohit Sharma was bowled off an inside edge and Rabada dismissed first innings top scorer Hardik Pandya for one, caught by a diving De Villiers at third slip.
After tea, Ashwin's resistance was broken by Philander, with wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock taking a sharp catch standing up to the stumps.
Former skipper AB de Villiers (35) was the lone batsman offering some kind of resistance even as the Indian pacers led by Mohammed Shami (3/28) and Jasprit Bumrah (3/39) took full advantage of the conditions. South Africa would have probably thought of batting long and then give a big target to India.
Hashim Amla (four) and nightwatchman Kagiso Rabada (two) are the not out batsmen who will now wait until Monday to resume their innings, with no rain forecast for the remainder of the game.
India need 208 runs to win this match.
- Playoffs not kind to Titans, Chiefs
- Ross Barkley completes Chelsea transfer from Everton
- Vikings will play Panthers-Saints victor in divisional round
- Oprah's Golden Globe Awards Speech Was Iconic
- Amid suspension of military aid to Pakistan, US, India discuss bilateral issues
- Apple Apologizes for iPhone Battery Issue, Drops Replacement Prices to $29
- Marathon Petroleum Corp (NYSE:MPC) VP Sells 17298 Shares of Stock
- Midstate remains under wind chill advisory
- CNN's Jake Tapper cuts off 'obsequious' White House 'factotum' in contentious interview
- "Nvidia's partnering with ACER, ASUS and HP for 65" BFGDs