At issue: Whether Trump said "I probably have a good relationship with Kim Jong-un", or "I'd probably have a good relationship with Kim Jong-un".
Trump was unsatisfied and asked again, the officials said. "I try to explain to the Americans - if we have to go into North Korea, it is not going to be like going into Iraq or Afghanistan". Neither version of the audio provides any audible or contextual indication that Trump said "I'd" in a line of comments about foreign relationships that were otherwise not conditional. The commander in chief attempted to push back during his tweet on Sunday morning, claiming that the Wall Street Journal "falsely" reported their information.
In a second tweet, Trump finished the thought.
The commentary says the South Korean authorities want the North to participate in the upcoming Winter Olympics because they are trying to persuade the country to scrap its nuclear programs.
A weekly recap of the top political stories from The Globe, sent right to your email.
These, while not completely clear, appeared to support White House press secretary Sarah Sanders' account. She posted the White House recording of the session. Multiple outlets have also reported that the Trump administration is debating the possibility of pursuing a "bloody nose" strategy - a first, targeted strike to deter North Korea from proceeding with its weapons testing.
However, Michishita said he did not expect U.S. President Donald Trump to undertake a preventive strike. "But I just don't...", Trump responds. Trump said he enjoyed doing the interview.
"I don't want to comment, I'm not saying I have or I haven't".
The episode follows controversy over a White House version of Trump remarks on immigration last week. "Despite her response of "Manhattan", the president apparently kept digging and inquired about the origins of "[her] people" until she told mentioned that her parents were from Korea.
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Chelsea vs Leicester latest score and updates from all the 3pm kick-offs
- Paying a Pornstar Hush Money Would Have Ended Any Other Presidency
- GM is dropping the steering wheel in autonomous cars
- UIDAI Introduces 16-Digit Virtual Aadhaar ID For More Security!
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Delta Air Lines Inc Earnings Advance 13% In Q4
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- 'The Handmaid's Tale' ventures outside Gilead in second season
- New York City Just Sued 5 Oil Companies. Could Chicago?