"It exploded definitely over southeastern MI".
A bright meteor briefly swept across the sky over parts of the US Midwest and Canada, causing a powerful explosion that rattled homes and onlookers. But what hit Tuesday night was no small nugget.
"This was a very slow moving meteor - speed of about 28,000 miles per hour (45,000km/hour)", the AMS wrote in a re-cap of the event.
It also stated that no fires had been reported as a result of the meteor.
If anyone suffered property damage from meteorite pieces, the Insurance Alliance of MI wanted to reassure that most homeowners and business insurance policies sold in MI cover damage caused by objects falling from the sky.
The National Weather Service, which first posted a tweet and then deleted it, calling the event a likely meteor, posted another tweet later confirming it was not a weather-related incident, and was possibly a meteor.
"Most people don't see meteors this bright..."
United States Geologic Survey natural disaster map shows the M2.0 "quake" set off by this bolide. Here's that GOES-16 image, zoomed in real tight.
"No lightning was detected".
A loud boom from a meteor caused the ground to shake in southeastern MI. Rather, the mild shake you may have experienced was equivalent to a 2.0 magnitude natural disaster, but it wasn't an quake itself, which is caused by shifting tectonic plates beneath the earth's crust.
EBay says that you'll need a high quality metal detector to help find a meteorite; One that penetrates deeper into the earth to find more valuable meteorites.
"When Armageddon is near, you better get out of of here".
Since most meteorites have some iron in them, they are magnetic.
So how do you know if it's a meteorite?
- Nearly 2 million S. Koreans estimated to have used cryptocurrency apps
- More jeers for Real Madrid after home loss to Villarreal
- Kim Kardashian Confirms Her and Kanye West's New Baby Girl Is Here
- Japan Additionally Sends Out, Then Retracts, A False Missile Warning
- Durbin, 5 other senators say they've reached immigration compromise
- Manchester United 3 - 0 Stoke: Paul Lambert has work cut out
- Constitution 'paramount', Hegde clarifies after controversial remark
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Balcony Collapses at Indonesia Stock Exchange; Injuries Reported