Music's biggest night is no exception: On Sunday, the Grammy Awards will celebrate 60 years of honoring the talented artists of the music industry.
ET's Cameron Mathison and Sophie Schillaci joined forces in our Absolut Lime Green Room to reflect on our favorite GRAMMYs of the past. The latter is IBM's famous artificial intelligence platform, which the Grammys are enlisting to curate the videos and photos being released to music fans following along with this year's awards show on social media in real time.
New York's first Grammys show since 2003, to be held on Sunday at Madison Square Garden, is the culmination of a two-year effort.
2014 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis win the Best Rap Album award over Drake, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West, the sixth time in the 19-year history of the award that a white performer had won it. Macklemore also beats Lamar for Best New Artist, and sends Lamar an apologetic text.
These Grammys also promise somewhat of a change from recent years.
Mars will face off in the record of the year category with Gambino's "Redbone", Lamar's "Humble", and Jay-Z's "The Story of O.J".
This is also one of the most diverse lists of artists nominated between the categories Album, Record and Song of the Year.
Rap is now officially the biggest music genre in the United States after surpassing rock in 2017, but the odds are historically stacked against a hip-hop artist winning album of the year at the Grammys. Several artists boycotted the Grammys, including neo-soul artist star Frank Ocean, who accused the award ceremony of cultural bias in an open letter on his personal Tumblr.
"Everything just costs more to do in NY versus Los Angeles, in terms of facilities, stagehands, hotel rooms, transportation, general expenses of the show - all of which we account for, but it's just a different animal", Ehrlich added. In 2016, Lamar's breathlessly acclaimed To Pimp a Butterfly lost the album-of-the-year prize to Taylor Swift's 1989.
It's been that many years since she made her debuted as a Barbados-born newcomer who signed with Jay-Z's stable of recording artists. "Divide" earned a nomination for best pop vocal album, while his No. 1 hit, "Shape of You", is up for best pop solo performance.
- Legendary Fantasy Writer Ursula K. Le Guin Dead at 88
- Pence: US Embassy in Jerusalem will open next year
- WWE fires Cruiserweight Champ Enzo Amore amid rape allegations
- Lonzo Ball catches 'KUZMANIA' from Kyle Kuzma after Lakers top Celtics
- Abbas asks European Union to recognise Palestinian statehood
- Phil Neville deletes Twitter account over 'sexist' tweet
- Johnson & Johnson Q4 Results Top Estimates; Sees FY18 Profit Above View
- Tom Brady and the Patriots are back in a familiar spot
- Live Cricket Score of South Africa vs India, 3rd Test, Day 1
- USA Gymnastics board leaders resign amid Larry Nassar scandal