The Tokyo-based exchange said in a statement it would reimburse the 260,000 customers affected by the $400 million heist of digital currency NEM, "at a rate of 88.549 yen (81 USA cents) for each coin", Bloomberg News reported. What started on Friday as a freeze of NEM deposits quickly spread to other altcoins and withdrawals.
This would make this the largest hack of cryptocurrency yet - breaking the previous record set by Mt.Gox of $340 million. Estimates indicate that over $530 million in digital currency may have been stolen or about 58 billion yen of the virtual currency.
After suspending withdrawals and then halting trading, the exchange said it has also stopped deposits into NEM coins.
Wong said it has nothing to do with NEM and its particular a fault for Coincheck.
The price of NEM has plunged 15%, even though the security flaw lies entirely with Coincheck.
The exchange posted several updates in a blog post and that announced that "certain Coincheck Payment features will be temporarily unavailable starting at 5 pm JST on 1/27/2018". Just recently a popular cryptocurrency exchange based in Japan, Coincheck has claimed that it has lost over $400 million in tokens after a hacking attack hit its service.
Co-founder Yusuke Otsuka said the company didn't know how the 500 million tokens went missing, and the firm is working to ensure the safety of all client assets.
Soon after the company began shutting down operations, $123 million worth Ripple coin was transferred to another wallet.
If you are among those affected by the heist, you can calculate your due amount using the following simple formula: compensation due = 88.549 yen * number of NEM you lost.
Another difference is that the Coincheck customers have some hope of being repaid, whereas most of the bitcoins stolen from Gox were never recovered and its users were not made whole.
- Trump willing to talk to Mueller under oath
- Has the "Special Relationship" Between the United States and the UK Changed?
- Grammy Awards: Photos from the first 60 years
- Could Vince McMahon's XFL bring a new football team to Cleveland?
- Xbox Game Pass Gets Same-Day Launch Titles
- Lonzo Ball catches 'KUZMANIA' from Kyle Kuzma after Lakers top Celtics
- Ronaldinho sends message to Philippe Coutinho ahead of his Barcelona debut
- How Does Apple HomePod Sounds Like?
- Turkey's forces seek new front in battle for Kurd territory
- How to add GIF stickers to Instagram Stories