31-year-old Mohamed Akram was injured in the eye when he was caught in the violence while travelling from Aligarh to Lakhimpur Khiri on Friday night. The clash started when some local youths took out a Rs Tiranga Yatra' on Republic Day and were opposed by another group that sparked violence. Following this, an exchange of bullets took place in which Chandan Gupta, 22, who was part of the bike rally, died after he was sacked in the chest. He also informed that the police had arrested 125 persons till date and more would be held soon. Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Kumar also said that normalcy was being restored in the city.
On Sunday, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Anand Kumar said, "In all, three shops have been damaged, by pouring petrol below the shutter and setting it afire".
On asked about the situation in Kasganj, UP government spokesman and senior cabinet minister Sidharth Nath Singh today said he has seen reports that shops are opening now.
He added the police was trying to make people "understand communal bonhomie". "I called the Kasganj Police Station and apprised them of the situation when they arrived 25 minutes later". "Sufficient police personnel have been deployed". One empty kiosk was also set ablaze by the anti-social elements.
The incident is reported from Uttar Pradesh's Kasganj district on Friday where a motorcycle rally of workers of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad and Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad were attacked by unidentified miscreants.
However, Chandan's family refused the monetary compensation from the state government and demanded that the slain youth be given "shaheed" (martyr) status.
Security forces patrol Kasganj town, Saturday.
Explosives were found during house to house searches following which the state police chief said that the stringent National Security Act would be invoked against the culprits.
- NBA Players Tweeted Their Support After DeMarcus Cousins' Season-Ending Injury
- Vanity Fair removes James Franco from cover over sexual misconduct allegations
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Despite protests, Padmaavat rakes in huge business on opening day
- South Korea hospital fire kills 31, injures dozens
- Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Leak Ahead Of Release
- Canada first: USA trade panel unexpectedly rejects Boeing trade complaint
- Billionaire casino owner and collector Steve Wynn accused of pervasive sexual misconduct
- Japanese Exchange Loses Record $530 Million in Cryptocurrency