Business was so brisk during the Christmas period that Nintendo actually doubled its total Switch numbers during the three-month period, the Verge reported. Not only are sales up a whopping 261% from this time a year ago, the Nintendo Switch has also officially outsolde the Wii U.
3DS continues to show legs as well with 3 million being sold in the quarter to bring life time sales to an nearly under the radar whopping 71.99 million. For the Nintendo Switch software, Super Mario Odyssey saw global sales reaching 9.07 million units.
NINTENDOCould another surprise Nintendo Switch games project be announced in 2018?
Super Mario Odyssey is also now on track to become the best selling 3D Mario game of all-time.
Minecraft's Xbox characters are finally coming to the Switch and Wii U versions of the game.
The Nintendo Switch, a hybrid between a home console and a handheld machine, has transformed the company's fortunes, proving to be its first big hit since the Wii was launched in 2006. This means that the Switch has, in under ten months, exceeded the Wii U's lifetime sales by over a million.
In just the fourth quarter of 2017, Nintendo sold 7.23 million Switch consoles. Wii U port, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe takes second place at 7.33 million units so far and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is actually in third with its 6.7 million sales. It now expects operating profit for the year ending March 31 to come in at 160 billion yen from a previous forecast of 120 billion yen. Nintendo has increased its sales forecast by 1 million.
In short, the Nintendo at the start of 2018 looks nothing like the Nintendo that started off 2017.
As mentioned above, it's hard to say whether this could be a new project being put together by Nintendo, or something already part of an existing development. Nintendo state that's eight million sellers if you include an undisclosed third party title.
- France stays away from Syria talks in Sochi
- EU27 meet in Brussels to instruct Michel Barnier on transitional deal
- Japanese crypto exchange firm gets a slap on the wrist
- Andre Drummond added to NBA All-Star roster
- Marvel Debuts Trailer for 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Cardi B fangirls over Bono
- Apple confirms U.S. agencies are looking into iPhone slowdown
- Another FA Cup brace for Iheanacho as Leicester secure emphatic victory
- Sen. Portman Returns Money From Ex-RNC Finance Chair
- Lakers Weren't Interested In Trading For Blake Griffin