The LAPD is leading the investigation, with assistance from L.A. school police, according to Zipperman.
The three people with slight injuries from shrapnel ranged in age from 11 to 30 years old, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott said.
In a brief interview, her Spanish-speaking grandmother described the 12-year-old as " amorosa" and "cariñosa" - loving and caring.
He said that she kept sobbing and repeating: "'I didn't mean it".
There are two 15-year-old victims, a boy and a girl, the Los Angeles Fire Department said. She was taken into custody nearly immediately after the incident.
Students at a Los Angeles middle school have been reunited with their parents after a shooting that left a teen critically wounded and three other children injured.
"Not safe, very insecure", Anzueto said of the school.
On Thursday, the Los Angeles school was placed on lockdown for several hours while authorities searched the students.
Put another way, a young person in the U.S.is almost 11 times as likely to die in a swimming pool than in a school shooting. The police have recovered the weapon and are questioning the student, The Los Angeles Times reported. Only one of those guns was found using a metal detector.
The shooting was reported just before 9 a.m.at the school, which has about 365 students in grades 6-8. She said she never saw a gun. Many were crying as they were embraced by emotional parents.
"Some people are anti-police", McKenna says.
'The school has been declared safe at this point.
But, he said, "she doesn't do bad things, she just stays quiet". "These are unusual circumstances, but they are deadly".
Earlier reports said police were also investigating whether the shooting was somehow accidental.
He warned that gun owners must be vigilant in keeping their weapons secure and out of reach from children. "It could result in a tragedy".
The shooting was in the Westlake District, a heavily populated area just northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
Zipperman also says the district is focusing on recovery efforts.
"At this time, the information suggests that this was an isolated incident, involving the negligent discharge of a firearm, where innocent children and a staff member were unfortunately injured", the LAPD said in a statement Thursday.
- Justin Timberlake expresses loyalty to Green Bay Packers
- Anthem delayed to 2019, new Battlefield coming in October
- Putin apologizes for authorities' failure to protect athletes from foreign pressures
- Microsoft Q2 2018 Earnings: Phones immaterial, Windows, Surface and Cloud revenue up
- San Francisco Plans To Retroactively Forgive Thousands Of Marijuana Convictions
- Know your budget: Health Sector
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Smoking driver causes fire, crash in Shanghai, police say; pedestrians hurt
- Russian jet buzzed American spy plane over Black Sea, US says
- Smart money points to Trump charge