A man opened fire on passers-by in the Italian city of Macerata yesterday, injuring several African migrants, police said, in an attack that appeared to be racially motivated.
He had an Italian flag wrapped around his shoulders, when he was stopped by police near the city's war memorial, and did not resist the arrest, according to local media. Police said one of the six victims was seriously hurt and needed surgery, but gave no further details. A number of foreign nationals were injured when shots were fired in the Italian city of Macerata.
They were all of color, this is obviously a grave fact.
According to election records, Traini had been a candidate in the nearby town of Corridonia for the anti-immigration Northern League party in the 2017 local elections but received no votes.
However, no official link has been made between the two incidents.
A preliminary postmortem was unable to establish the cause of her death, while the suspect, who was denied asylum past year, has refused to talk to police.
As the violent attack unfolded, police told residents to stay inside and ordered a halt to public transport to limit the casualties.
Police said the shooter drove around Macerata, which is famed for its outdoor opera festivals, in a black Alfa Romeo auto firing out of his window at migrants in various locations.
Italian media report Traini made a failed bid previous year in administrative elections in the nearby city of Corridonia with the anti-immigrant Northern League party.
Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni said that "hatred and violence will not be able to divide us".
On Jan. 31, an 18-year-old girl was found dead in Macerata, her body dismembered and hidden in two separate suitcases.
Opinion polls suggest a centre-right bloc, including the Northern League, Forza Italia and the far-right Brothers of Italy, will win the most seats but not a working majority.
PD leader Matteo Renzi called for calm.
Salvini told reporters Saturday at a campaign stop in Bologna that he would bring security to Italy.
- Smoking driver causes fire, crash in Shanghai, police say; pedestrians hurt
- Court of Arbitration for Sport overturns doping bans on Russian athletes
- Skipper Virat Kohli Guides Team India to Comfortable Win Over Proteas
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Know your budget: Health Sector
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Black History Month In Focus: 15 Folks Who Made History in 2017
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Girl (12) arrested after five people wounded in school shooting
- No discussions to fire Rosenstein: White House