Before embarking Thursday on a five-nation trip to Latin America, Tillerson said China seeks only to enrich itself with investment and development projects.
"Let's make sure we have systems in place where we understand who's coming into the country", Tillerson said. However, Videgaray said that "with the Trump administration, we're committed to having a very close communication and that has proven to be a tremendous benefit for the relationship".
"And importantly, we share democratic values, values that are the core of what we believe, regardless of the color of our passport".
The Mexican government has repeatedly expressed opposition to Trump's proposals to curb illegal immigration and have Mexico pay for a reinforced border wall.
Many Latin Americans read that as a focus on people coming from their region. "In their pursuit of money and power, TCOs leave death and destruction in their wake". "The horrendous insults to Mexicans, to every single Latin American immigrant, are there".
But hanging over all the efforts is Mr. Trump's heated language, which undercuts Mr. Tillerson's diplomacy on Venezuela and much of the United States agenda.
Charismatic late president Hugo Chavez's oil-fuelled support for socialist-leaning allies, and domestic social welfare projects, were an attractive alternative for many.
"We have not advocated for regime change or removal of President Maduro".
Tillerson turned the screw, laying out a different path to prosperity.
The ousting of Maduro is not something Washington aspires to or plots, Tillerson said, noting that "whether that will be the case here or not, I do not know".
Accusing Washington of seeking to undermine democracy in Latin America and return to the days of "imperialism", Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino lashed out at Mr Tillerson during a broadcast on state television.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson outlined the Trump administration's vision for Latin America for the first time Thursday, describing the region as a vital, enduring usa partner despite recent frictions over immigration and trade.
"Latin America does not need a new imperial power", he said.
After visiting Buenos Aires and the Argentine mountain resort town of Bariloche, Tillerson is scheduled to head to Lima to meet with Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski on issues including the eighth annual Summit of the Americas, set for April 13-14 in Lima.
Although Tillerson has not been a prominent player in the NAFTA discussions, the future of the treaty is certain to loom over his visit, especially at a trilateral meeting with Canada's Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland on Friday.
- Poland wants to ban the term 'Polish death camps'
- Justin Timberlake dishes halftime, bromances, and National Football League allegiances
- Smoking driver causes fire, crash in Shanghai, police say; pedestrians hurt
- What Happens in Pyeongchang, Stays in Pyeongchang: Olympic Village Stocks 110000 Condoms
- Better than Salah - Everton fans rave about attacker display v Leicester
- No discussions to fire Rosenstein: White House
- The Travelers Companies, Inc. (TRV) RSI 82.27 value Indicates a sell possibility
- Justin Timberlake expresses loyalty to Green Bay Packers
- Mourinho on Huddersfield win: We had to break down the Berlin wall
- Skipper Virat Kohli Guides Team India to Comfortable Win Over Proteas