Kohli was then dropped by substitute defender Khaya Zondo in the same over, and inevitably fell two overs later, got by Kagiso Rabada off Phehlukwayo for 112 off 119 balls (10 fours).
With a boundary in the 35th over, Rahane notched his half-century and between overs 31 to 40, India added another 75 runs to ease the pressure on the chase and during that phase, Rahane completed his half-century.
Kohli's praise-worthy 189-run partnership with Ajinkya Rahane for the 3rd wicket became the highlight of the match while recording the highest third-wicket partnership at Durban. We understood fast bowling was going to be a big factor on this tour.
Where will the India v/s South Africa 1st ODI be played?
India brought in six players who didn't feature in the final test: Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan will open the batting, Mahendra Singh Dhoni is in at No 5, Kedar Jadhav is at No 6, and Kuldeep and Chahal also came into the team.
For the Proteas, they went with Tahir as a spinner while four pacers were selected.
"For the second-top score to be 30-something shows that there weren't partnerships, and the most basic thing about one-day cricket is that you need to get two guys batting together to put on some sort of partnership", Du Plessis said.
Leg-spinner Chahal took two for 45 and left-arm wrist spinner Yadav took three for 45 and kept tight control during the middle overs. They are working wonderfully for the team. The night also marked India's first victory against South Africa since 1992-93 at the specified ground. He had brief support from Chris Morris (37) as they shared 74 runs for the seventh wicket.
India amassed 270-4 to reach their target with 27 balls to spare at Kingsmead after South Africa captain Faf du Plessis, who won the toss, scored 120 of his side's 269-8. Feeling strong. Definitely didn't get enough, we didn't bat well enough. "India bowled really well and we were 50 to 70 runs short". It's a pretty easy decision because of the conditions around. "Tried everything with field placements and tactics, but Virat and Rahane played very well". Du Plessis, alternately, would have been given out lbw on 18 if India had opted for DRS at the end of the 13th over.
- Justin Timberlake dishes halftime, bromances, and National Football League allegiances
- LeBron James, Cavaliers Slide Continues with Loss to Pistons; Kevin Love Injured
- Microsoft Q2 2018 Earnings: Phones immaterial, Windows, Surface and Cloud revenue up
- Better than Salah - Everton fans rave about attacker display v Leicester
- San Francisco Plans To Retroactively Forgive Thousands Of Marijuana Convictions
- Anthem delayed to 2019, new Battlefield coming in October
- Girl (12) arrested after five people wounded in school shooting
- Georgia lawmakers OK after Virginia train crash
- Polar Bears Are Swimming Themselves To Death As Sea Ice Melts
- FOX Paying Big Money For Rights to Thursday Night Football Package